Savage Model 30

std7mag

My LGS has a Savage Model 30.
Stock is in rough shape, lots of the bluing worn off.
I noticed a slight bulge at the end of the barrel.
Checked with bore gageand it's reading improved cyl.
Thought it kinda odd for a pump to be improved cyl.

Anyways, looking at it as a project gun, and hopefully use for spring turkey( with a different barrel of course). LGS asking $179

Fair price?

Drm50

Beat up with buldged barrel sound more like $100. Savage/ Stevens pump shotguns never
were popular. They weren't very durable and prone to breakage. I hate to say it but Moss
500 series is much better gun. About a notch above a Nobel.

Remington74

$179 plus the cost of another barrel and time/supplies to refinish the wood.

Even though I buy project guns myself I think I might pass on this one. As mentioned, a pawn shop Mossberg that needs woodwork would probably be a better direction to go in.

Lately I've seen some pretty nice used Mossberg 500's at the local gun shop for $200 - $245.

Ricklin

I would not

Old pump guns are a dime a dozen. If you are looking for one you can do far better.
Win Model 12, Remington 870 esp. Wingmaster. Ithaca 37.

I do understand that availability is variable. Around here they are a dime a dozen. Lots of old duck guns, typically 30" barrel and full choke.

The guns have become quite expensive to shoot given given the need for Heavi shot or similar @ 3-4 dollars per round.

They need the choke opened up or cut to 28" and add screw in chokes. The old full chokes are tighter than today.

They can be made up in to a decent beginner trap gun with minimal changes. May still need to open the choke a little.

The price really must be right to make it worthwhile like < = 100 bucks.

Model 30s don't bring much at all even in good to excellent shape. They were utility guns, nothing more.

$179 is high if it's that rough is my feeling.

wild willy

For the shape you describe $179 is about 3 times what its worth.I know people that used them and they are far from trouble free.