Savage Model 24

TruthTellers

A month ago I saw at one of the local shops a Savage Model 24 12 gauge and .30-30 combination gun. I'm a fan of oddities like this and it caught my eye, but I'm not interested in the .30-30 cartridge.

Because information on long discontinued Savage guns is tough to find, does anybody know what other rifle chamberings these combination guns were available in? Through a quick search it looks like .22 rimfire, .22 Hornet, .223, .357, and .30-30 were available, but were there any others? If Savage made a Model 24 with a .45-70 barrel over a 12 gauge... that would make my day.

bamaranger

others

In addition to the calibers you listed, there was also .22 mag, .222. Seems as if I recall possibly a .357 max.......maybe a .308.......... there was no 45-70.

I did a quick search on "Savage 24 rifle calibers" and came up with quite a few hits....more reading than I want to do.

TruthTellers

The .308 would interest me. Can anyone confirm Savage made a model 24 with a .308 barrel? Don't care if it was over 12 or 20 gauge.

BBarn

Looks like most of the Savage 24s were 22LR or 22Mag over a 410 or 20ga. There were some later ones made with 12 ga barrels. And some of the later ones were made with 17HMR, 22 Hornet, 222 Remington, 223 Remington, , 30-30 Winchester, .357 Mag, or .357 Max. barrels on top. I didn't see any 24s made in 308 Winchester.

Savage did import a couple of combination models with 308 Winchester barrels (a model 389 made in Italy and a model 2400 made by Valmet in Finland, I think). They both had the shotgun barrel on top and looked much like a typical over-under shotgun.

I once had a 24 in 410/22 lr. Couldn't hit a barn door with the 22 barrel due to the cheezy screwed-down rear sight it had.. But_the 410 barrel having a #6 3" chambered made a dandy late in the day Fall season shooter i.e. roosted partridge.

Stock was made of some kind of impact resistant plastic substance. Although it looked good the stock turned out to be my 24s achilles heal. -10 below outside one day. After checking on my 20 or so rabbit snares after school I brought the Combination shooter into the folks home. Sometime during the guns warming its stocked cracked. Action to butt pad. There after the rifle sat on my Fathers work bench never to be fixed. He probably used the busted rifle for a tomato stake one day for all I know?

David R

I have a 222/20 gauge model 24V (1985) and an OLD 22-410. Both are true meat guns.

Sorry no 45-70.

I down load the 222 and hunt squirrels with it. I did shoot a deer with a full power 222 50 grain bullet. 135 yards, receiver sight and gold bead.

I love em.

David

T. O'Heir

"...maybe a .308..." Nope. No .45-70 either. Largest chambering was .30-30. Average weight of a 24 is 6.25 pounds. Recoil of a .30-30 would be bad enough.
Had a .223/20 gauge long ago. Rifle barrel didn't shoot worth beans. Bad triggers and poor sights.
The savage24.com site has all the info on 'em you'll ever need. Note that some of the links there are dead though.

44 AMP

Staff
One of my high school buddies had a .22LR/20ga.

Sorry, no .308 or .45-70 in the Model 24.

The rifle barrels usually wouldn't shoot as well as regular rifles, but were usually minute of game accurate enough at close range, considering the coarse sights and trigger pull.

One neat feature was a butt trap that held a couple shells for each barrel.

Neither a good rifle, nor a good shotgun, but tolerably useful as either at need.

TruthTellers

Neither a good rifle, nor a good shotgun, but tolerably useful as either at need.
Combination guns in a nutshell. The oddity and niche makes it interesting enough to me to want one.

Well, sucks that they were never made with a .308 or .45-70 barrel, but .357 Mag and Max I like. Anybody want to harbor a guess as to how common the .357 Maximum Model 24's are? That would be one hard hitting bullet. Maybe not as hard hitting as .35 Whelen, but being able to shoot .357 and .38 from it make it interesting.

David R

I cannot sit still. When deer hunting with my dad and uncles, I would drive all day. Snowshoes on if needed. I carried the 222/20. What ever moved I shot if it was in season. End of he day they would bust on me because I had scared all the deer away. Shot a lot of partridge that way. I put a scope on it in the summer and shot woodchucks. The gunsmith I bought it from said It shoots better than it should. I had a blast with it. Shot a lot of reduced load cast bullets with it.

Now both sit in my safe. The 22-410 was my moms. It may go to my grandchildren.

David

Scorch

Originally marketed as the .22-.410 then later the Model 24, it was designed and marketed as a "camp gun" supposedly for shooting forest grouse, rabbits, squirrels, and other pot meat while out hunting or camping. I used to have a yen for one when I was young, but I have never seen one that shot well enough to bother with.
Stock was made of some kind of impact resistant plastic substance.
It was called Rynite, and there are many, many stories about how a Rynite stock broke, usually at exactly the wrong time.

ThomasT

My bud has an old one with the sliding selector on the side. Its in 22 mag/410. Its not very accurate at 100 yards but like Scorch said a good camp gun. Anything 50 yards or less is dead. I bought an unfired on off GB a few years ago. A newer version with the selector on the hammer. It was in 22 mag and 20 ga. I never fired it. Someone else wanted it and offered a $100 more than I had in it.

I was at WM about 4 years ago and someone had ordered one of the Remington imported Baikal/Spartan combo guns made in Russia and failed to pick it up. Its in 22/410. It came with 4 choke tubes and very nice wood in the stock. It even has cast off to the buttstock.

Its fun to shoot and surprisingly accurate. It put me on a .410 kick. I have 4 of them now. What a neat round. I reload for it. I had a 5th 410 but gave it to my nephew. His dad was pleased with me until he bought the first box of shells for it.:D

ms6852

My catalog for collectors lists the following as have been listed above with this other models.

Model 2400: Manufactured by Valmont and imported from 1975 to 1980. It was a 12 gauge shotgun by 222 or 308 and the barrel was 23.5 inches.

Model 389: Over/underdesign in 12 gauge 3" magnum chambered for 222 or 308. Double triggers hammerless action made in 1988 and 1989.

Model 24VS 20 gauge chambered in .357 magnum.

kraigwy

I have a Sav. 24-D, 22/410. Its an older one, made before the requirements of serial numbers.

The first two years I lived in Alaska, I lived in a little cabin north of Healy. I was laid off in the winters and there was zero work then.

That little gun fed my family. We lived mostly on snowshoe hares and ptarmigan.

Since I've seen the Savage in 222/2o gage. I thought that would be the better option, and I still think so, only I would rechamber it to 223. Using cast bullets, it would be just as effective, and cheap to shoot as 22s. I think I could do more with the 20 ga then the 410. Plus 20 gage is a lot easier to reload.

But I wont get rid of my 24-D, too many memories, and loyalty is involved.

Fact is, I was waiting for a hard freeze (which we just had), so I'm gonna dig it out this after noon and pick up a cotton tail or two.

Picher

I've owned two Savage combo guns, a .22LR/20 gauge and a .357/20. I got sick of hunting with the full-choke 20. One was so tight that it only made a 3" pattern at 20 yards. Duh!

The other problem is that no matter where the selector was set, it seemed to be wrong. The 22lr/20 had a side-selector that broke and when I got it back from the factory, it had the selector on the hammer. That was better.

Sights were terrible on both the rifles and they were way too heavy to lug around. The soldered barrel connector at the muzzle on the .357/20 model became separated from the rifle barrel.

They may have been pretty good with a small red-dot sight, but that would just make them even heavier.

mavracer

Years ago I had a 24 on my want list, for a bumming around the woods gun. I kinda knew I wanted a 20 gauge and didn't much care as to the rifle chambering. I lucked into a 22 mag 20 gauge at a gun show and couldn't have been happier. Love the extra power the mag has and no worries about ammo cost with a single shot lol.
A 357 mag would be cool too.

the possum

The idea of a combo gun always appealed to me as well, because we hunted for whatever was in season. But I was also put off by the complaints mentioned in this thread. That's why I got a German Drilling. Now that's a combo gun done right. Ya get the practicality of a double barreled shotgun, and the rifle is accurate with real sights and (usually) a set trigger. Those were often made in more modern (European) calibers as well.

Jack O'Conner

Back in my youth, I hunted with a model 24-S which featured a 22LR barrel over a 20 gauge. For a shotgun it was less than mediocre: heavy, poorly balanced, and very tight full choke. For a rifle it was fine. I sold it and never looked back.

Jack