Savage Model 23A Sporter .22. Anyone own one?

FunGramps

I've found a very clean looking Savage Sporter with the original magazine for $325.00. No rust, but normal small dings in the wood, but very nice for vintage. I really like this model. Looks like this was made between 1924 and 1933. Serial number 124XXX

Does anyone own one of these or are familiar with how accurate they are?

Thanks!

ligonierbill

I have one. In fact, until recently I had all of the 23s from A to D. Sold my 32-20 and fixing to sell my 25-20, but I will be holding onto the 'A'. Very accurate rifle. Last year I ran into a couple guys at the range that had a club devoted to these rifles. They were trying to beat each other's group that day. I will have to dig into my notes, but basically mine is as accurate as my CZ 452. It likes standard velocity ammo. Savage also made an 'AA' version.

FunGramps

I have one. In fact, until recently I had all of the 23s from A to D. Sold my 32-20 and fixing to sell my 25-20, but I will be holding onto the 'A'. Very accurate rifle. Last year I ran into a couple guys at the range that had a club devoted to these rifles. They were trying to beat each other's group that day. I will have to dig into my notes, but basically mine is as accurate as my CZ 452. It likes standard velocity ammo. Savage also made an 'AA' version.
Thanks for the rundown. Food for thought. I like the antiquity and the steel butt as well. :)

"Sold my 32-20"

CRAP! Wish I had known. I'd have been very tempted.

I have one in .25-20, but I've always wanted one in .32-20, as well.

Scorch

I had a 23C in 22 Hornet with a Weaver 2.5X scope attached. It was accurate and reliable. But I lost my love for the 22 Hornet about 40 years ago, so down the road it went. It is a very sturdy design, so should be trouble-free for quite a while.