Savage Model 10 frustrations, I want a wood stock!

SARuger

I recently bought a nice, low round count Savage Model 10, .243win, SN G537xxx, gloss blueing, blind magazine.

It has a synthetic stock but the rifle is just too nice overall to be sitting in cheap plastic.

I want a wood stock but I do not like the laminates. Numerich listed a stock for it that should fit, since its the only one they list for this Model 10.

I ordered the stock with 4-1/4 screw spacing and Monte Carlo cheek rise.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/ad/1250800.htm

It doesnt fit, The screw holes are not on center, the back one is close but the front one is way off. The rear of the trigger assembly needs to be inletted, and the magazine will not fit into the stock properly. I tried calling Savage last week but they were shut down. The hours that I work do not allow me to get a hold of Numerich before they close everyday.

Can anyone suggest to me a company that makes a wooden stock for my Model 10 that will fit? No laminates, just solid walnut!

I'm sending this stock back to Numerich. Its a shame because its a nice stock, it will just not fit my rifle

hereinaz

Measure your action screws center to center. The older short actions are 4.27". So, if it was off by a fraction, sounds like it could be your problem. Also a gloss finish attached magazine points to older model, it just could be old enough to be a 4.27.

Is the blind magazine box attached to the action by chance?

Actions with the blind attached magazine are staggerfeed, and inletting are just larger than the new centerfeed. New blind centerfeed magazines are not attached to the action and are a press fit into the stock with a little "L" clip on the rear action hole. So, if the magazine inletting was too small, I am guessing you have a staggerfeed gun.

My guess for the stock, is you need a blind staggerfeed, and it is probably a 4.27 action. Measure center to center on your action screws. Go to Boyds website and search for the action that matches.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Rimfire5

You didn't say whether you had an Accu-stock or not.

The Accu-stock bolt release is a button at the front of the trigger guard.
If you have an Accu-stock, I think you may be out of luck because I have never found an Accu-stock replacement on either Boyd's or Stocky's.

The regular stock has a lever on the right side of the receiver near the bolt.
If you have the lever bolt release, then you should be able to find a stock that fits, but as hereinaz noted, there are at least two different bolt patterns for the receiver bolts in that model.

I replaced my old 10 FP .308 stock with a hidden magazine that had the lever bolt release with a Bell and Carlson synthetic adjustable stock a couple of years ago because the factory stock was just a bit too short for me. Yeah, I measured the receiver bolt holes before I ordered mine. The recommendation for using the Chat line is a good one. It will help avoid ordering the wrong stock.

I can't remember if I saw wood stocks for the 10 FP at the time I was looking..

cptjack

WORKED THE TRADES MANY DECADES ,AND SOME PEOPLE COULD NOT GRASP THE IDEA THAT SIDES OF THE HOLES WERE THE SAME DISTANCE AS CENTER TO CENTER I have found my method more accurate

jmr40

In recent years Savage has had at least 2 and I think 3 slightly different versions of their model 10. Each takes a slightly different stock. If you want wood contact Savage with the SN. They will probably sell you a wood stock to fit the version you have. Never done this with Savage, but I've bought 2 stocks from Ruger this way and prices were much better than anything aftermarket.

SARuger

Thanks all! Great answers and questions. I do not have the accustock, i do have the accu trigger. The blind mag is not attached to the action but was attached to the stock. It looks like i need to send this one back to numerichs and try again. I will call savage tomorrow and see what yhey have to offer for this rifle.

tobnpr

"G" prefix is '02-'09 production.
You've got a 3rd Gen. short action (centerfeed, 2005 and later) with 4.400 action screw spacing.
Boyd's, and order a set of action screws (they sell them) as you might need to cut to length.

SARuger

"G" prefix is '02-'09 production.
You've got a 3rd Gen. short action (centerfeed, 2005 and later) with 4.400 action screw spacing.
Boyd's, and order a set of action screws (they sell them) as you might need to cut to length.

Awesome information! My plan is to call Savage today and see if they offer a walnut stock for this rifle.

I'm not a fan of Boyds stocks, I have 3 and all 3 are falling apart just from range use.

Stockys is waaaay over priced.

tobnpr

I'm not a fan of Boyds stocks, I have 3 and all 3 are falling apart just from range use.

Not sure what you mean by falling apart...
Far as the wood, there's no problem with their laminates (buy them for my own stocks), I would assume the same holds for the quality of their hardwoods.

When it comes to their wood (laminate, or hardwood) stocks, they need to be professionally fitted or epoxy bedded- particularly the recoil lug at a minimum.
They are, by design, "budget" stocks. Once bedding is correctly done, the barreled action has no idea whether it's part of a chunk of wood, or a $1000 composite stock with integral bedding block. The end result is the same- the action is stress-free when torqued into the stock, and does not move under recoil.

I don't think you're going to find a walnut stock for it other than Boyd's- unless you get somewhere with Savage. Good luck with it.

SARuger

Not sure what you mean by falling apart...

Where the laminates meet, cracking. On several spots with all three. I have not bought a solid wood stock from them yet though.

I got no where with Savage. Looks like its Boyds or Stockys.

tobnpr

^^^
You won't fare any differently with walnut (Regia) than with the colored birch laminates. The hardness of both is about the same, around 1200 on the Janka scale. In fact, the glues used in the laminates are much harder than the wood itself, as evidenced by the weight (and my router bits after cutting rifle stocks from them).

Can't have the recoil lug slamming back into wood of any type, doesn't take an engineer to get an idea of what forces are at work here and that wood is soft and compressible. If you don't bed the recoil lug so as to let the epoxy absorb and evenly distribute the recoil forces, the stock needs to be drilled and a recoil cross-bolt inserted behind the lug.

Alternative is composite, or wood stock with integral bedding block. JMO, YMMV.

SARuger

I "might" have found a NOS OEM walnut stock. I will know Monday. Numerich had one listed, I bought it. now Numerich lists it as "out of stock". So either I got the last one, or they updated their website after I ordered it. No one there to call on the weekends.

Fingers crossed!

The same stock that I'm getting from Numerich for $70, is $300 from Boyds and $300 from Stockys. A basic walnut stock with checkering.

RC20

Awesome information! My plan is to call Savage today and see if they offer a walnut stock for this rifle.

I would contact Boyds and see what they say about your stocks.

I have two of the Laminates. One is a light weight 30-06 that see heavy use (probably 45 weekends of the year it shoots 50 at least). At least two years now.

The other is on a 7.5 Swiss Savage action, its been through a couple of barrel, also about two years shooting. Its seen about the same use as the 30-06 and load levels.

Neither one of them shows the least bit of any problems.

The fit on both is perfect (neither is bedded, both shoot sub 1/2 MOA.

SARuger

Not sure what Savage did on this Model 10, but it is neither a 4.25 or a 4.40 action screw spacing. I have two stocks now that I have ordered. One is a 4.25 spacing, doesnt fit, not even close. The other is a 4.40 spacing, with the rear action screw installed, I see half a hole on the front action screw.

Time to take it to a gunsmith and let them figure it out. Its either going to need the action drilled and taped or the hole moved on the stock.

Not sure if either is a possibility, I'm not a gunsmith. I do want the synthetic stock to still be used for hunting and the wood for range use.

tobnpr

Inletting on the stock is off...I can guarantee you, it's not the action from Savage.
Probably why Numrich has them in the first place; "seconds"...

Other than the action screw inletting, fitment is OK?

Nothing puzzling, the stock needs the action screw holes opened up and pillars installed where they need to be. I've done this changing 4.275/4.4 to fit stocks as needed. If you don't have a local guy to do it pm me, or call me at the shop.

SARuger

It measures 4.40. Local gunsmith is modifing the dtock to fit. We think its a factory second and the actiob screw spacing is off. I would send ot back but they dont have anymore. For $70, its no big deal. $50 will fix it.