Savage Model 10 Blind magazine to detachable magazine

Marco Califo

I was looking at Boydsgunstocks.com
And I noticed they offer a magazine well meant to work in place of the blind magazine. https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/accessories/savage-sa-plastic-mag-welldc6ef
I emailed them asking if, that part, plus a stock for detachable magazine, and a factory magazine would work to convert a blind magazine to detachable.
The response was "That should work."
The new stock, will cost $200. The magazine maybe $40-50.
Has anyone done this?

taylorce1

I'd contact Savage at (800) 370-0708, and ask them that same question. You might need a new trigger guard, and I think with the plastic mag well you need to buy Axis style magazines, where the magazine catch is part of the magazine. I've never used the plastic style opting for the metal style mag well on my Savage conversions. However, the metal parts are a little more pricey.

Marco Califo

Thanks for your reply. You are correct. I have a few Savage rifles and I just tried to swap mags between an Axis and Model 10 in 223. They are in fact different, and only the Axis magazine has the release on the magazine.
I like your suggestion re: metal parts and that would definitely be my preference. Can you tell me any brands or vendors?

Found one:
https://accurate-mag.com/shop/magazines/308-winchester-7-62x51mm-dssf-magazine/
$267 shipped (with 1 magazine) and not including stock or stock modifications.

I also emailed Savage through their website. They do mention conversions as an option. I asked about the parts to do so. Gave them my rifle serial number.

Last edited:

taylorce1

I usually just buy the magazine parts off of the Savage Shooters forum or eBay. Usually runs about $100 for TG and magazine well.

Txhillbilly

You will have to buy the factory Savage bottom metal for the Boyd's stock. You will also need to buy the factory magazine bottom plate that just snaps onto the magazine top/spring/ and follower that you already have.

Nathan

About what year was this made? Is it a centerfeed blind magazine? Most were. I believe center feeds need a blind mag or AICS mag.

I converted by going to an MDT Chassis. To really work right, I need some machining done on the feed ramps. Right not, it feeds 2.94” ammo ok. But the mag can accept 2.98”.

Marco Califo

My 308 model 10 is center feed. Manufactured around 15 years ago, maybe 20. That was before AICS emerged.
I think Savage will tell me the parts I need. The Savage store does not currently sell parts through the site, and gives a phone number for parts purchases. They say they respond to emails in three business days, so I expect a response by Tuesday.
Boyds sells plastic parts, and I did not see metal parts for same. If you have a link for Savage bottom metal, at Boyds or anywhere else I would appreciate it. Thanks for the replies.

pete2

Worked for BPS a few years, every year just before deer season customers would come in looking for magazines to replace the one they misplaced at the end of the last hunting season. I wouldn't change one of my rifles for money, OKAY, I would for a lot of money............