Savage Mod 11 Bore Question

Picher

I recently sighted-in a new .223 Rem, Savage Mod. 11 rifle for a neighbor,
and after shooting it, cleaned the bore. I ran a couple of wet patches through it and didn't notice anything, but when a wet bronze brush was was pushed through, it "sang" like it was going over a lightly scored or machined surface. It was the length of the bore, so it couldn't have been fouling.

Does anyone know if this is this an innovation, a problem, or what? The rifle shot reasonably well and there were no pressure signs.

JP

gman3

They (Savage)tend to have a lot of machine marks in their barrels. mine, and several others they I have seen do anyway. They shoot good though.

Picher

Maybe if I pushed the cleaning rod at the right speed, it would have played the "Ballard of Davy Crockett"?

Snyper

It's your imagination, because I've been told Savage is perfect in every way, and far superior to any other brand ;)

Mobuck

I bought my Daughter a Savage 308 with a 26" heavy profile barrel several years back. That rifle had the roughest bore of any I've handled. It shot OK but copper fouled like no other. After about 200 shots of load work up, it started getting better and finally is at a point of being nearly bearable.
For my use, I'd like to start with a Savage barrel at about the 500 round count(if it's been properly cared for). That would be fairly well smoothed out while still having a long life ahead.