Savage Mod 10 FCP 308

emissary1911

Anyone have one of these rifles and what is your pet load for it?
I just bought one of these ,2 weeks ago, waiting on a scope and mount!
Just testing the waters on what others are loading and shooting in their rifle and what works best for them!

Bullet weight?
Powder ?

Any info would be appreciated!
Thanks

std7mag

Depends on what you want to do with it.
My nieces husband has one.
We worked up loads using Varget & RL15 and the 168gr Nosler Custom Competition bullets.
He did ok with his setup for his first 600 yard F-Class.
With his scope & rest setup i don't remember off hand if he shot F-Open or F-TR.
I remember on the way up he wanted to shoot F-Open.

His shooting has gone a different direction the past couple of years.
He's more into AKs and ARs doing rapid fire now. :rolleyes:

Oh well, every chess board needs pawns. ;)

Rimfire5

I have two model 10 .308 -10 FP (hidden mag) and 10 FCP-K (detachable mag with muzzle brake) and a buddy has another 10 FCP (detachable mag) also in.308.

The two I own have 24-inch barrels. My buddy's 10 FCP has a 22-nch barrel.
The data I base the following conclusions upon represents over 1000 measured groups for each of the three rifles.

Unfortunately, I think I have bad news for you.
The model number doesn't give any basis for finding a 'pet load'.
You'll get lots of opinions but few with enough data to back them up.

Bullets:
The best performing bullets for one of these rifles don't mean anything for the other two.
The 10 FP likes 155 grain TMKS and 168 SMKs.
The 10 FCP-K likes 175 grain SMKs and TMKs and 195 grain TMKs.
The 10 FCP with the 22-inch barrel likes a wide variety of weights more based upon my buddy's inconsistency than bullet weight preferences.

Powders:
The 10 FP shoots best with IMR4166 Enduron followed by closely by IMR4064.
The 10 FCP-K shoots best with IMR4166 Enduron followed closely by IMR4064 and H4895
The 10 FCP shoots best with IMR4895 and N140.

Velocities:
The most accurate velocities are very different based upon the different harmonic resonance of the barrels - the muzzle brake changes the resonance between the two 24-inch barrels and the 22-inch barrel also changes the barrel resonance compared to the 24-inch barrels.

In my experience with two almost identical Savage 26-inch barrel rifles in 6.5mm CM,
'pet loads' don't exist for my two rifles that should have identical preferences.

The fact is that barrel characteristics depend a lot upon the age of the reamers used to cut the rifling and the chamber and the characteristics of the steel from lot to lot when the barrels were formed.

ocharry

i too have a mod 10 FP, it likes the 168 weight bullets pretty good....BUT...it really likes the Nosler custom comp 175gr bullets....i mean it REALLY likes them kinda like cover 10 shots with a dime with room to spare likes them......all loaded with Varget powder

that is the norm for the rifle with the 175s and varget if i am on my game and doing my part ...it is kinda boaring ....lol...

i have had it to 700 and it really makes me look like i know what i am doing ....check the dope, dial it and send it

the rifle is not in the factory stock, it is in a choat super varmint... it is heavy but so nice to shoot

YMMV

ocharry