Savage bug bit me hard!

458winshooter

Last year I purchased 3 rifles that are Savages. Ok technically one is a Winchester but it is in a Savage caliber. A model 54 Winchester in 250 Savage minted in 1927, a new Savage Axis in 22-250 and a model 99 takedown in 300 savage 1926 or 1927 production I can't remember off the top of my head. Does anyone else have a love for this brand or is it just me? The 300 with a hand load of a Hornady 180 gr at 2400 fps is a dream to shoot and still is potent enough for anything I plan to shoot at. Love this gun. The Winnie has been rebarreled with a fast twist rate for heavy bullets but factory 100's still do good at 100 yards from what I can tell. Everything you hear about it's mild recoil is true I almost want to check for a squib everytime I shoot it. I also got a 6.5 jap brought back by a marine after WWll I need to show some love but for now the Savages are getting all my attention.

taylorce1

I like Savage 10/110 series rifles for ease of changing barrels. I think the .250 and .300 Savage are underated rounds. I had a 99A in .358 Winchester and sold it, I'm just not a lever action guy. Savage Axis are better left where you find them IMO, they cut too many corners with that design.

105kw

300 Savage is my go to rifle for hunting and fun.
I really like the 99 Savage, I've got 3, 1 pre WW2, 2 from the 50s.
308 may have pushed 300 Savage out, but with a 150gr bullet you can get close to 308 velocity. 180s can get to 2350 and a bit better, basically duplicating 30-40 Krag ballistics.
The 99s are just classy, fun guns.

stagpanther

I like them for bases for builds--just don't ever look at the bores with a borescope or you may have nightmares and/or not sleep well at night.:DEven the lowly Axis is fine IMO--especially the axis 2--all their rifle barrels come off the same machines AFAIK.

GeauxTide

I have a 110 Weather Warrior in 260 and a Tactical in 6.5 Creedmoor. Both have Accutrigger and Accustock and 1/2" shooters. The 260 is SS, so I put it in a Boyd's Royal Jacaranda Laminate Stock. Sessy!

std7mag

I might have a few. Lol

Had a Savage 110 in 30-30. My first centerfire rifle.
Traded it on a Savage 110 in 30-06. Had trigger work & muzzle brake done on it.
Took many deer & shot golf balls with it out to 200 meters.
Alas, it was stolen.

Now have.

Savage 111 in 7mm Rem Mag. Shooting the 150gr ABLR. Want to try the 175gr ABLR.

Stevens 200. Originally chambered in 7mm-08. I did my own trigger work on that. Then reamed the chamber to AI & set back the barrel.
After 6,000 rounds i rebarreled with an E.R. Shaw 24" sporter in 250 Savage.
While i did take 2 deer with it this past season, i was under whelmed by it's performance.
Performs excellently on coyotes though!
Took barrel off & put it on an Axis II action.
Took the 7mm-08 barrel off the Axis II, reamed to AI & put on the Stevens action.

Savage 111 in 270 Win. Took barrel off & put an E.R. Shaw 24" sporter 257 Roberts reamed to 257 Roberts AI on.

I do have an Axis action modified to use a standard recoil lug. I was planning on using it as a base for a short range (400 yards & under) bench rest build.
Modified Rifle Basix trigger. 8oz pull weight.
Shilen heavy varmint barrel in 250 Savage.
Was going to have a custom bench rest stock made for it. But cost & just lack of time for reloading & shooting have me rethinking it.

std7mag

It was back in the early 80's.
But i'm sure it was a 110.

Man i'm getting old!!!

Had a coworker that reloaded. He told me he'd reload my brass for me.
Kept saying about using a round nosed bullet.
When i brought my rifle in to him, he was surprised. He thought because i said 30-30 it was going to be a lever gun with a tube magazine.
Those 150gr Sierra spire points shot amazingly well!

BornFighting88

OP, have you looked at one of those Impulse rifles by Savage? I had a 110 in 7mm-08, but traded it in on my Win70. I get a kick out of that floating bolt head to make sure it locks up square. I think that is a really neat idea, and the changing barrels on your own?? It’s a sales dream. I want to get one of those Impulse rifles in 308.

Pistoler0

OP, have you looked at one of those Impulse rifles by Savage? I had a 110 in 7mm-08, but traded it in on my Win70. I get a kick out of that floating bolt head to make sure it locks up square. I think that is a really neat idea, and the changing barrels on your own?? It’s a sales dream. I want to get one of those Impulse rifles in 308.
I am with you.
I am waiting for a heavy barrel, varmint Impulse myself.

I also want to hold off until a few after market stocks and chassis are available for the Impulse.

BornFighting88

I am with you.
I am waiting for a heavy barrel, varmint Impulse myself.

I also want to hold off until a few after market stocks and chassis are available for the Impulse.
Boyd's Hardwood. I think they already have a model coming off the line.

If someone were to make a chassis system for that, in like a PRS set up??? Filth.

Drm50

I just been selling off most of my hunting rifles. I just sold three Sav 99s newest was a 1950
250/3000, and older 300 and 303Sav. Also a Remington 81 Krieger conversion in 300 Sav. I’ve owned several 99s in 300sav, that’s most common chambering in this area. I’ve shot many deer with 300Sav, similar to hitting them with a 308, they’re dead. If the 300Sav
cartridge with short neck hadn’t been a problem for automatic weapons/ belt feed there would have never been a 308- 7.62 NATO.