Savage Axis recoil lug.

Polinese

Ordered an Oryx chassis today. Plannning on doing a total rebuild on my Savage Axis. Does anyone know where I can get a recoil lug for the axis? I've got it in a boyds stock right now but the rifle is about 4 hours from where I am right now so I can't easily check to see if that one will come out of the stock easily. I did check with boyds and they can't sell me just the lug.

Any help?

stagpanther

I'd call Savage, it's surprising that they are hard to find. Lacking that, I'd call PTG and ask them to make you one (several, to be on the safe side). I thought of numrich but they appear to be out of stock at the moment.

Polinese

Thanks for the suggestion! Turns out I gotta call em anyways to verify my shank size since mine is the earlier "edge" version before the name change. Some stuff I just read implied the shank size may have changed on them at some point.

stagpanther

If you measure your lug gap between the receiver and nut I can tell you if that matches my axis rifle's. I don't know if the shape changed but I kinda doubt it.

Polinese

I dont believe the shape changed. My understanding is the name changed due to a copyright or trademark issue. Next time I'm visitng my folks I"ll dig the rifle out and look at it, and see if I can just pull the lug from the boyds stock. The chassis is backordered anyways.

reynolds357

I have a few Boyds stocks. They are OK quality wise and not too great customer service wise. I have one of their stocks where they used plastic where steel should have been used. The plastic warps and will not function. I e-mail them and tell them the part warped and should have been made of steel. They e-mail me back and tell me they now make them out of steel. They will be happy to sell me one for $33 or 35 or maybe $38. They will only charge me $14 to ship it. We are talking about a couple ounces here. They might have got that $50, but they wont get another cent of mine.