savage axis question?

tchunter

Ok I know most guys are going to say its not worth it because the rifle sucks. But... I won the gun in a $10 raffle. Has anyone attempted to modify a stock to fit the axis, or is there an aftermarket stock yet. The stock on the gun is too long for me and I don't see a way to shorten it up, because its hollow. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

PawPaw

most guys are going to say its not worth it because the rifle sucks.

Who says it sucks? The Savage Axis is consistently rated one of the better entry-level rifles. From all accounts, accuracy is very acceptable and the rifle seems to be durable.

The stock on the gun is too long for me and I don't see a way to shorten it up, because its hollow. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Take it to a smith. Have the stock shortened and a new pad installed. My guy does that work for $60.00 and that includes the cost of the pad. He's shortened several stocks for me over the years because I like a shorter LOP than most guys.

So, $10.00 for the raffle and ~$60.00 for stock fit and you're into a new rifle for $70.00. Not a bad deal at all.

warbirdlover

Contact Savage and see what they say. I don't know of any aftermarket stocks yet for the Axis. Maybe one of their "youth" stocks would fit you?

tchunter

Hey Paw Paw I don't think it sucks but the more info I try to find the more negative things I dig up. The gun is super accurate it just doesn't fit. I don't use a sled when I shoot because I use my guns to hunt and I try to be more realistic. I have been shooting 1.5" groups with it. As for taking the gun to a smith I guess my brain wasn't quite working, that's a good idea. I guess the only reason I thought aftermarket is that I kind of like the tactical stocks.

Polinese

I don't think we'll see aftermarket stocks anytime soon because the way the rifle is designed...

I can't help with the shortening but i filled the front end in with epoxy putty and that stiffened up the stock, I also did the same to the triggerguard area and permanently affixed the guard.

Both of those helped make the stock better as far as rigidity.

PawPaw

tchunter said:
The gun is super accurate it just doesn't fit. I don't use a sled when I shoot because I use my guns to hunt and I try to be more realistic

I don't use a sled either, and once I've got a rifle sighted, I get away from the bench. I'm a hunter, too and want to practice from hunting positions. I agree that the Savage entry level stocks are pretty flimsy (I call them Tupperware), but some folks have had success stiffening them.

I do know that if Savage made the Axis in a southpaw version, I'd order three tomorrow. I've got a bunch of left-handed grandkids who need rifles.

mongo356

PawPaw- I do know that if Savage made the Axis in a southpaw version, I'd order three tomorrow.

According to their website lefty's are new for 2012. I am very tempted to trade my 11FHNS for a lefty AXIS but cannot bring myself to do it -yet.

Also Savage has a youth version that may have a shorter stock that fits, maybe a call to Savage if the gunsmith route isn't taken. The AXIS youth has a shorter OAL and a 20" Bbl.

10-96

It's really not all that hard to shorten a hollow stock- just takes some patience.

Tape, square up, and cut the stock. Sand or file any needed contour.

Cut, file, and sand a wooden block which will just fit flush into the stock (takes a lot of trial and error for a precise fit).

Epoxy the block in. (gorilla glue, fiberglass resin, etc)

Place and tape pad, mark holes, double check, then file or sand down pad to fit.

When marking the holes for the pad, you might drill undersize pilot holes to keep wood from cracking. Also, you might drill a .75" hole in between the screw holes in case you desire to add/remove a bit of lead shot for balance in the future.

PawPaw

mongo356 said:
According to their website lefty's are new for 2012.

Really?!? Do you have a link for that? I can't seem to find it on their website.

Edit: I found it. It looks like they're going to offer a couple of models in the Axis line in a southpaw version. Ha! After Christmas, I'll start hounding my gun shop.

Last edited:

tchunter

Like I said I don't think it sucks, I love the way it shoots and how smooth the bolt is to cycle. I just keep having guys tell me that while I'm on the search for a stock. I would take up the offer for 20 bucks if I had the bankroll to just go buy another gun! I think I'm going to try and doctor up the stock myself, at worst I was looking for anyway. Thankyou for all the advice, I will give an update after I'm done, then in february hopefuly this gun will help out the guys in south texas with their hog problem!

Elkins45

It's really not all that hard to shorten a hollow stock- just takes some patience.

Tape, square up, and cut the stock. Sand or file any needed contour.

Cut, file, and sand a wooden block which will just fit flush into the stock (takes a lot of trial and error for a precise fit).

Epoxy the block in. (gorilla glue, fiberglass resin, etc)

Place and tape pad, mark holes, double check, then file or sand down pad to fit.

When marking the holes for the pad, you might drill undersize pilot holes to keep wood from cracking. Also, you might drill a .75" hole in between the screw holes in case you desire to add/remove a bit of lead shot for balance in the future.

Yeah, this is what I would do. The only thing I would add is that I would spray some of that expanding insulation foam into the hollow space in front of the added wood block because it might help support it a bit and help transfer the recoil energy so the epoxy doesn't have to hold 100% of it.

I'm SUPER excited to find out they will be offering lefties in the Axis next year!