Savage Accu-trigger and making it lighter..

banditt007

I have a 30-06 Savage 111G purchased as of 3 or so years ago, for the range i'd like to lower the trigger pull to be a bit lighter than it sits now, adjusted to the min setting. I've read things regarding having the gun fire when fully closing the bolt after going 'too far' with a lightened trigger. So i'm taking this cautiously here. I can't see this happening with the Accu trigger b/c of the sear block, not that it'd be a good thing to have it come to that anyway.

I read on savages site

"In centerfire hunting models, muzzleloaders, the Model 40 Varmint Hunter, and most rimfire models, the AccuTrigger™ is adjustable from approximately 2 1/2 to 6 lbs. In the 12 Series Varmint and Law Enforcement Series, the AccuTrigger is adjustable from approximately 1 1/2 lbs to 6 lbs."

My question is, is the trigger in the 12 series varmint/LE guns the same, with a different spring (that i can purchase and replace on mine) to make it go down to approx 1.5lbs? or is the entire setup different? I'd like to work with the existing accu-trigger and not do a full aftermarket drop in replacement.

Thanks.

accut_fig1.jpg

Nomo4me

I clipped a coil off each spring on my M-10 Precision carbine to reduce pull to less than 1 lb. I shoot it only from the bench and if I close the bolt with much vigor at all I trip the sear and the blade catches it.

Accutriggers fit from the factory with the lighter springs have a red safety blade on them and a huge laser etched warning on the side of the action.
The savage custom shop won't fit the lighter springs on a short action because the action side isn't long enough to accept the warning text.

rickdavis81

There are a lot of good articles on this on the web with pics to help. I've done a few. I have one at a 1lb and it's like Nono4me said, if you slam the bolt it'll trip. But around 1.5lb's is pretty easy to do with out having to worry about tripping the sear. Just clip a coil off of the trigger spring, it's under where you adjust the pull weight screw. If it's still not enough clip a little more. If you go to far just adjust it up with the weight screw.

73-Captain

Accu-Trigger

"The savage custom shop won't fit the lighter springs on a short action because the action side isn't long enough to accept the warning text."

Really? My SHORT ACTION Savage was built by the Savage Custom Shop and has the lighter trigger.

C.

Nomo4me

73 I'm repeating what the gal that runs the custom shop told me when I custom ordered my M-10 in .204 Ruger.
Does yours have the red safety blade?

banditt007

So do you think they just anodize the same 'accu-release'(first 'trigger') red, and just replace the spring? I'd rather just install a new spring than cut the old one.

Nomo4me

You can't buy the lighter springs and savage won't install them either. I clipped both because mine is shot from the bench only and I didn't like the weight of the safety blade. you will need two pairs of needle nose pliars to reform the double bend of one of the springs - can't remember which one.

LateNightFlight

My SHORT ACTION Savage was built by the Savage Custom Shop and has the lighter trigger.

Same here. Mine is chambered in 220 Swift - light trigger - no warning text (other than the warning text on the barrel without mention of the trigger) and has a stainless blade. Perhaps Savage has recently adopted a new policy?

Nomo4me

I question whether either of the guns mentioned truly do have the 6oz trigger. Maybe Savage has changed their policy in the last year or so?

Effie (handles customer service for the custom dept) told me plain & straight 'cause I did try to order it on my M-10 Precision Carbine last fall.

73-Captain

Savage

"73 I'm repeating what the gal that runs the custom shop told me when I custom ordered my M-10 in .204 Ruger."

Nomo4me, And I am repeating what I know... "Really? My SHORT ACTION Savage was built by the Savage Custom Shop and has the lighter trigger."

And, the "gal" in the custom shop is "Effie", she is GREAt to work with!

C.