Savage 99

Drm50

A few months ago I bought a Savage 99eg in 250/3000. I really wanted a carbine model but 250s are hard to come by. The few 99s in my area are always
300sav or 303sav. This is a nice rifle made in 1950. I haven't shot the rifle very
much yet. It was D&Ted so I scoped it to see if it shot or was going into trade pile. It shoots but I don't want it scoped. I have never had a 99 with a reciever
sight. Scopes and Irons is what I had in the past. I have a couple original Lyman tangs for 99s but don't like them in the woods. I'm looking for a reciever sight
that doesn't hang out like a plumbing fitting. Would appreciate seeing some pics
of members 99s that are fitted with reciver sights. It's going into keeper rack until I come across a carbine model. I had a 99 carbine when I was a kid but I
can't remember what model it was. All the carbines I run into are the newer models with tang safety. They aren't near the quality of the older models.

std7mag

Drm50,
Congratulations on a good find!
I have yet to see a Model 99 in 250 Savage. Bear in mind that if your going to handload for it, that the rifling twist is 1:14. Hence it may not stabilize heavier bullets.
Nosler claims that none of their bullets will stabilize out of a 99.

Sorry i have no info on the sight. All the 99's i have seen have been scoped.

dgludwig

I like the Williams "FoolProof" receiver sight I have mounted on my Model 99 (as well as several other rifles) "Brush Gun". The Williams does lay against the receiver but I've always considered its profile to be fairly "streamlined".

Charlie98

My 99F in .308 has a Williams peep... yes, it screws to the receiver and it is not as slick as something like a bolt mounted peep on a Winchester 71 or such, but because of the bolt design, I don't know if you will find anything better. The Williams, in my instance, provides the range of elevation I must have... I shoot it out to 600yds at steel, and it does so with ease. I don't think it looks klunky, but in my mind form follows function.

A6t84j1m.jpg

Pahoo

They are beauties

Many years ago, a buddy of mine bought a 99 at a garage sale and asked me about having it drilled and tapped for a scope. I advised him to leave and shoot it as is and of course he went ahead and had it done. The smith did a lousy job and my buddy offered it to me. The price was still right so I bought it. Had to have it redone, mounted a scope on it and hunted for a number of years, in Alabama. Eventually sold it and sure wished he had listened to me. By chance, does you 99 have a brass rotary mag?

Personally, I would "suggest" that you settle for the tang sight. …… :)

Be Safe !!!

bamaranger

99's

Congrats on your new rifle.

I've always wanted a 99, and I'd want it to be a carbine too. I'm thinking there was a model called the "saddle gun" but they all might be referred to as carbines. I've not studied up on the Savage 99 numbering system. The models with the 20" barrels and straight wrists are the ones that appeal to me. Thing is, I've never seen one in a shop or show for sale, never even handled one. I'd go for .250, but would not pass a .243. Wouldn't want to scope one either............but I might have to so as to shoot as well as one should at game.

Hope you find your carbine, and good luck with the 99 you've acquired.

Drm50

The 99 carbine I had when a kid had straight stock and was pre war. I used it one season in WVa. It was in very good shooting condition but had been well carried. I traded it off. I have kept a eye open for another for years. This rifle
shoots 100gr Hornady RN bullets very well. I've tried a few others Nosler &
Sierra spitzers and they won't group at all. I'm not impressed with Ghost Ring type sights like Skinner. Not that they aren't well made, there just isn't much to
them. If I was going that route I would use a Williams Guide sight with aperature adapter in place of blade. They mount in rear scope base holes. I have used them on Ruger 10/22, Ruger 44 carbine and 742 & 760s. I have reciver sights on my collection of woods deer rifles and several 22s. I mark witness plate for
ranges and can jack it and return to 0. I have a horde of old Tang Sights, they are OK for targets but I don't like them on deer rifles.

KeithNyst

Here is a picture of my 1920 Model 99F in 303 Savage with a Lyman 57SA receiver sight (uses the the rear tang sight holes). The Redfield 70LH would also be a similar sight for Savage 1899/99s. Williams made two versions: The FP-99S uses stardard scope D&T holes; the FP-99 uses the rear tang sight holes. Lyman also made the 57SB that mounts using standard scope D&T holes.

Attachments

• 03 - small.jpg
    03 - small.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

dgludwig

The models with the 20" barrels and straight wrists are the ones that appeal to me.

This is the configuration my Model 99 "Brush Gun" has, chambered in .358 Winchester. Mine has the tang safety and rotary magazine.