Savage 99

kcub

My experience is with my mom's .243 with which I killed a meat doe when I was 8.

How accurate are these? What is the most accurate caliber? Are 300 any good? That sees to be the most common chambering.

rebs

I have a Savage 99 in 300 Savage cal. It was handed down from my grand father to my father and now to me. It has taken many many deer and black bear. It is an excellent rifle and extremely accurate.

Hunter Customs

I killed a lot of Missouri whitetail deer with a Savage 99 in 300 Savage caliber, most of those were running shots.

I preferred to use handloads in mine as I do in most of my rifles, with iron sights my old Savage 99 was a 1 1/4 MOA rifle.

In my collection of rifles I have three Savage 99's, two in 300 Savage caliber and one 250/3000 Savage.

I love the looks and feel of the Savage 99 rifles especially those with the rotary magazine and cartridge counter.

taylorce1

I had one in .358 Win a series A brush gun, it was about a 1.25-1.5" shooter for me. I tried to love the rifle but couldn't so I sold it to finish a couple other projects I had.

Gunplummer

I have a .243 and a .358 99. The .358 is an old "F" model. I also had to really play around with loads to get it to shoot good. The .243 will only shoot Remington factory (Never reloaded for it) ammo well. A lot of 99's are really finicky when it comes to ammo. There is no explaining it.
.358-1
.303-2
.300-2
30-30-1
.243-1
.250-2
.22 HiPower-1
22-250-1
7-30 Waters-1
.260 Rem-1
And parts guns in various stages of renewal/build

I'm a '99 kind of guy. I have killed deer with all but the 22-250. I am thinking 7mm-08 for the next barrel. Maybe .338 Federal. I guess my favorite to hunt with right now is the old 30-30 T/D.

Kosh75287

I was around an Uncle who was very big on the M99, when I was too young to appreciate what I was seeing and shooting. He had one in .243, .308, and .358. I shot the .243 enough to decide that it was "okay" (which was adolescent speak for "THAT'S really COOL! But I won't be cool if I act excited and thrilled about it."

It didn't take a lot of reading for me to figure out that I could hunt anything in the Western Hemisphere and all but a few things in Africa and elsewhere, with those 3 rifles, using the same cases and same or very similar powders! I had opportunity to shoot those three rifles over a couple of summers at my Uncle's place in Tennessee, and shoulda been THRILLED about getting to know them, but I was still in the "dumb kid" development stage.

I got back to Texas and told my shooting buddies about them, and how I thought they were the best inventions since Monday Night Football. One of my friend's Dad had a Winchester M88 in .284 which was HIS nominee for "Best Invention Since Monday Night Football". I shot about a box of ammo through it, and it struck me as A sorta compromise between the .,243 and .308, which certainly didn't suck!
HE knew someone with a BLR in .308, and I liked the time I spent with it.

All of those rifles have sorta ruined me for all the more "conventionally designed" lever guns made before and after them.

kcub

I am thinking 7mm-08 for the next barrel. Maybe .338 Federal.

Who/where on the barrels? I'd love a 6.5 Creedmoor lever gun.

Which is more accurate between the Savage 99 and BLR?

Gunplummer

I do my own when I have time. Depending on the grain bullet, it looks like a 6.5 creedmore will fit a standard .308 length magazine. I can't load 160 grain bullets in my .260 barreled 99. Hornady stopped making Flat point 140 grain 7mm bullets, so I have to run 120 grain 7mm bullets through the 7-30 Waters, which is an old style receiver. You can rework the old shorter magazine receivers to handle .308 length bullets, however the guy has to know what he is doing. This is not some wonky modification, this was done on the early .308 length guns at the factory.

Savage99

The Savage 99 became my primary deer rifle in 1966 when I bought my 358 Featherweight. It's still my favorite. Of course I have other rifles for hunting and competition.

The 99 has controlled round feed and mine also has a tang safety.

DSC00120.jpg

KMAX

A friend had a 99 in 300 Savage. He took a lot of whitetails out of the Hill Country. I always admired that rifle but it got lost when he passed away.

Scorch

I own a couple of 99s, a 1903 version in 30-30, and a 4-barreled set (22 HP, 25-35, 30-30, and .410). Gotta love 'em!

I've hunted with a 300 Sav year after year for well over 50 years. One tip I've learned and still do. There is a old slick trick done to the 300 Sav cartridge during its reloading if its shooter is wanting equal or better terminal bullet performance than a 308 or 30-06 offers. Otherwise the 99 is a well fitting rifle on the shoulder of most fellows and constructed of materials meant to last a life time and than some if properly cared for. Although the 99s having a obsolescent design. Thankfully there are those who still prefer their 99 models above all other levers. Thanks to those fellows. They keep the collector's price of my 99 rifles moving sharply upwards year after year. As far as BLRs. I highly doubt they over time will have the popularity those 99s now have and too enjoyed over many years. Even though the rifle is now in its obsolescent years.

Last edited: