Savage 7mm W/Scope

xrageofangelsx

So a coworker of mine purchased a Savage Rifle of indeterminable model number from a local gun store for around 350 bucks that is chambered in 7mm Mag. It comes with a camo bag and a scope of also indeterminable brand. He is asking 150 bucks for it. If I am not hurting for cash, would this be a decent beginning hunting rifle? The only experience I really have with rifles is with an SKS, a Rem700 in .308, an AK variant, and hopefully, before I die, the Sig 556. ;)

I know my description of said rifle is very narrow, but I don't know much about Savage or rifles in general and if 150 bucks is worth it. What would YOU do?

Thanks guys. :D

jhgreasemonkey

I would definitely snatch it up for $150. I got 2 savage 110's one is a 7mm mag the other a 30-06 w accu trigger. Both are great hunting and target rifles. Accurate and reliable. Thats a steal at $150.

westphoenix

Have you seen the rifle in person?
How old is the rifle?
How many rounds have been fired?
How does the stock look?
How does the barrel look (inside)?
How does the bolt action feel?
How does it feed?

Sounds like a good deal to me, but those are things I would ask/look at before telling him I will make the purchase. But with a price like that for a Remington 7mm mag I would let him know I am interested and will make my way over there to check it out.

Fremmer

The Remington 700 in .308 is a great hunting rifle for a beginner (or an expert).

That said, I'd ask your buddy if you can try the gun out at the range. If it is reliable and accurate, I'd buy it. Because....
Everyone needs another rifle, especially for a great price. :)

xrageofangelsx

I know that the rifle has been shot less than a box. Why? Because the dude told me that he still has twelve rounds left from the original box. I have yet to see the rifle, but he is bringing it to work tomorrow for me to check out. I think I just might bring a blank check with me just in case. ;)

youp

I hope you bought it by now. If you do not liie it you should be able to get two to two fifty for it on an auction site. They are ugly.

FirstFreedom

If the rifle is in good shape, and functions fine (check the bore, action, etc.), then it's a good deal.

No, any rifle in 7 remmag is not a good rifle for a beginner. That's quite a bit of recoil to start handling from the get-go. You don't want to develop a flinch. Still, I'd buy it if it's in good shape and look to re-sell it for around $225-$250 at the next gun show.

Dirty_Harry

+1 FirstFreedom

I agree very much with you. A 7mm mag is not a good beginner's rifle. It has a little much recoil for a beginner's rifle. I would say go for something like the .308 that you shot or a 7mm-08....even a .270 or something in the 6mm class.

But for $150.00, if you don't buy it.....I will.:D

xrageofangelsx

I had no idea the 7mm Mag was such a powerful round. Is this more for big game hunting than for, say, deer hunting? I suppose if worse comes to worse, I could always use it for trading fodder or a gun show trade.

GON2FAR

Coming from someone who started out with a 7mm mag for his first gun (Browning 1885 that would print 1/2" MOA all day long with handloads, I STILL kick myself for getting rid of that gun, damn the things you do when your a teenager!!) it is a lot. In this day and age of Ultra-Mags and such its not the cannon it was once considered, but it is surely the equal of any game animal we have to offer in N. America, save possibly the great bears (and a right many of those have been downed with the big 7's to be sure). I love the round, still think its the best all around cartridge for lower-48 hunting we have. Ive owned 4 of them over the years.

On that Savage inparticular, for buck and half, you simply cannot go wrong. If it doesn't have the Accutrigger, get a decent aftermarket replacement, drop it in a decent stock (my only complaint with those low-end Savages, the stocks SUCK) and your in a VERY serviceable hunting rig for >$500. And it won't be an off-the-shelfer, you got something you did some work to, and can be proud of it. Not to mention, if its anything like the Savages Ive worked with, it will out-shoot most rifles costing 2-3x what it did.

garryc

Nice thing about a savage is you can change the barrel your self. I've even seen the barrels in midways catolog. The reciever alone is worth $150

JR47

Buy it if it's in good shape. Check it out as to whether the recoil will bother you. You can change the stock, add a Pachmayr Decelerator Recoil Pad, and some decent optics as you get the time and money.

You're new to all this, so don't get caught up in caliber changes, special triggers, or other esoterica until you know that they will, in fact, help you in your pursuit of game.

The 140 gr. bullets, as loaded by the factory, will kill just about any deer out there quickly, if you hit it right. The recoil is less than with heavier weight projectiles.

If the weapon seems to be a problem, recoil wise, to you, I'd suggest cleaning it thoroughly, and storing it until you have more experience with rifles. At $150.00, you'll not get many chances to own a 7mm Rem. Mag.

Check around and see it there's a .270, .308, or .30-06 available inexpensively if recoil is bothering you. Practice on it, including hunting, until it is comfortable. After that, the 7mm Mag. should be an easy step up.

Pay closer attention to the trigger pull weight, bolt smoothness in operation, and fit and finish of another rifle, as it'll be considerably more expensive.:)