Savage 64F

BigMike

All, for an inexpensive plinker, the Savage 64F has come onto my radar. A pretty simple, auto, 10 rd mag, synthetic black stock rifle.

I can get one for @ $110+tax. Anyone have one of these? I know there are better for rifles for not much more, but for the money, what do you think?

wild willy

I have a 64FL I haven’t done any real accuracy testing but I’ve run several hundred rounds of various ammo thru it.It hasn’t missed a beat ran everything fine.

kozak6

My brother has a Savage 64 something.

The steel receiver is a plus, and it has a better trigger out of the box than my 10/22. The sights aren't as adjustable, but I like the sight picture better.

But I don't like the magazines. They are hard to load, insertion is a little fussy, and sometimes the first round in the magazine tips up and gets mangled by the bolt. The floorplates also aren't well retained.

Outside of the occasional first round feed issue, reliability has been comparable to my 10/22.

I never put it on paper, but it seemed at least as accurate as my 10/22 while plinking, maybe more so.

It's not a bad .22, but I don't think it would be my first pick. You could do a lot worse.

If you are a tinkering sort, there are almost no aftermarket parts for it. No hi-cap mags either.

T. O'Heir

Had it's Cooey made cousin for over 40 years. A tack driver it ain't but it goes bang every time and the only ammo it's remotely fussy about is the hypervelocity stuff. It prefers Remington Yellow Jackets the silly SOB's have discontinued.
I keep hearing about plastic mags that don't work well. Never seen one of 'em myself. My mags are steel. No fuss loading 'em either.