Savage 1911

bamaranger

The new issue of the Rifleman carries an article on Savage's entry intro into the 1911 market.

A few years back you will recall that Remington as we know it folded. Not far from my home, Remington had opened a new mfg facility, where they produced their version of old slabsides. They were marked, made in Hunstville, AL and i sure should have bought one......but of course did not.

As Remington's world disolved, the tooling for the 1911 production was sold and moved......at the time I wondered who bought it, where it might have gone. I wonder, do I now have my answer?

44caliberkid

I thought the Remington 1911’s were made in Turkey.
I read the American Rifleman article. I was disappointed they didn’t test it with 230 grain hardball. The groups they were getting at 25 yards were more like a $500 RIA, not what I would expect from a $1700 pistol. For that kind of money I’d go with Dan Wesson. Savage should probably stay out of the handgun business.

bamaranger

savage

The 25 yd groups were not exceptional, but note that all testing was done with HP self defense type ammo. The accuracy results could well be as much an issue with the ammo selected. It would have been interesting to see some wider variety of ammo tested, ie, match SWC, hardball and SD fodder. I'll add that W-W whitebox 230 hardball has shot very well for me in a variety of pistols. Note too the test pistol ran w/o a hitch. I'd expect that for the money, but again it ran well with the HP ammo used.

The success of the import 1911 pistols indicates the continued interest in the 1911, and the low price point of the imports doesn't hurt their popularity either. I was surprised when Remington entered the market. Ruger continues to produce their version, as well as Kimber and all the others. Now Savage has joined the fray.

All that aside, my original point, purely for conversation and specualtion, was the timing of the intro regards to the sale of the Remington tooling. Perhaps we'll never know, but the whole business seems more than conincidental to me.

I still regret buying one when they were made just down the road:(

Before COVID-19 I regularly attended the SHOT Show. I always made it a point to try to hit every 1911 maker in the show. Forget all the media and armchair commando proclamations that the 1911 is obsolete -- it seemed like every year at SHOT I would encounter two or three more/new 1911 makers I had never heard of. It's pretty amazing how so many companies and small, custom gunsmiths just don't seem to have gotten the memo that nobody wants a 1911.

bamaranger

+1

Totally agreed. If your're a 1911 fan, you've heard the arguements, too heavy, too big, not enough ammo, too much recoil.....etc.

But the dang things continue to sell, and lots of folks are making them....and now Savage.

bamaranger

forgot one

Oh yeah, this criticism from my own flesh and blood.......

Bamaboy......"takedown is too complicated".....from a son on mine:eek:

Jim Watson

Well, Bamaboy is an AGE with a Glock-only department. Can't be expected to appreciate the finer things in life like me and his Dad.

Miami_JBT

Before COVID-19 I regularly attended the SHOT Show. I always made it a point to try to hit every 1911 maker in the show. Forget all the media and armchair commando proclamations that the 1911 is obsolete -- it seemed like every year at SHOT I would encounter two or three more/new 1911 makers I had never heard of. It's pretty amazing how so many companies and small, custom gunsmiths just don't seem to have gotten the memo that nobody wants a 1911.
A lot of companies "make" 1911s because there is a cottage industry of manufacturers making 1911 frames, slides, and parts as OEM for other companies. Ruger forever made 1911 frames, slides, and parts for other companies like Caspian through their Pine Tree Casting Facility. At some point, Ruger figured it was worth simply slapping their own name on the parts that they make.

The AR-15 market was much the same. For a very long while, DPMS provided parts to a lot of bigger (pricier) named companies.

bamaranger

Rural King

Well I swung by Rural King this PM, they were sold out of the Ruger 1911. I'll take that as a sign I was not to get one. My checking account thanks me. In speaking with the clerk, they are indeed the LW pistol,. alloy frame, stainless slide.

I dunno why the alloy LW pistol is priced $250 plus lower than the steel gun. As I mentioned earlier, the deal is not what I thought it was, the LW guns sell for about $650 everywhere.

Sold out.....another example that the old war horse carries on.

Oldrifle

I believe I've read reviews of the Savage 1911 in a few magazines, however they really should include the ambi safety feature.