Savage 16 .300WSM First Trip to the Range

700sage

Took a new Savage 16 in .300WSM to the range yesterday with some work up loads. I shot some loads that were similar to my other .300WSM but did as you are supposed to and loaded down 10% and worked my way up watching for signs of pressure. At the end of the day 70 grains of IMR7828SSC over a 180grain accubond was the winner. I was pleasently surprised at the accuracy right out of the box. I also shot some lower pressure loads that I had worked up for deer with a 165grain Ballistic tip. They shot great also. Remember that the barrel hasn't even been broken in yet. The accuracy of this rifle will only get better. Here's what the groups looked like:

gunrange003.jpg

This was the 180grain rounds. 6 holes in this picture. I think the different points of impact were me not getting a good cheek weld as I'm not famillar with the gun yet. Oh, and the black squares are 3/4" squares!

gunrange004.jpg

This picture was the 165grain rounds. 5 of them, 3 to the left and 2 a bit further to the right. Again I believe cheek weld is to blame for POI shift. All in all I don't think this is bad considering it's the first trip to the range with this gun. I love the Accutrigger and the Accustock. I just have to get used to them.