Savage 12BVSS 22-250 Tubb's Final Finish Results

texfar

Well, after lots of reading posts, other stuff and talking to others in my area this is what I did. History: New rifle had void in barrel and was sent back, out of box for new barrel. Replaced without question. Received and cleaned initial cleaning. Not sure how many rounds factory put through it, but it had lots of hard fouling. As recommended by someone on the post here, I loaded up some Sierra FMJ to put down the barrel with cleaning after several groups. Was not concerned with grouping. With spotless bore, loaded up some 1390 Sierra HPBT w/36.1 grns Varget, and shot several groups. Smallest was .680 largest about 1.25". Cleaned again and found quite a bit of hard fouling. Loaded up recommended rounds from SSS, Tubb's Final Finish and fired as instructions and recommendation from factory dictated. Cleaned spotless and loaded up the same 1390 Sierra load again. First two foul the bore shots cut the same hole. The three, three shot groups fired following the two shots were right there, with the largest at .405 and the other two at 1/4" or less. Cleaned the bore, and the fouling ( extremely light) was removed in a few patches. The throat was moved fwd a few thou. as "Brand" at SSS said it would, but has not affected my ability to load close to the lands should I chose to do so. Patches pass much smoother than before, fouling less, and accuracy is there. I am happy with the performance of the product in this application as well as 7mm Rem. Mag. (Rem. 700 Classic, old model) as previously described. Following the application of The Final Finish my best group with the 7mm was .375 ctc. This is after new load developement using Barnes bullets and shot a few days ago. Right thing to do??? Maybe, maybe not, but the product performed as advertised and I am happy with the results. I would use the product again. For each application, I have called the tech folks at SSS and taken their advise on use of the product for each rifle. I haven't gone wrong using their recommendations at this point. I set this rifle aside for varmit application only, and have a Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20 scope on it. I would not normally use it for large animals, but I have just undergone cataract surgery which did not allow the use of my large bore rifles until recently for deer season. I shot a beautiful 3x7 buck with the 12BVSS at 135 yds 4 inches below the skull at the spine, which became two inches shorter after the shot. With the accuracy of the rifle, I did not even hesitate with that shot. Probably the last large animal that will fill my scope using that rifle, but it worked for me this once.

I appreciate all the input and advise received on the subject, but sometimes we just have to find out for ourselves with all things considered. :)

GhostRider32

Good to hear your report. I just got the 12BVSS in .308 and shot it for the first time yesterday. It seems to shoot well, the only problem I have is that I have a little trouble holding steady enough. I bought a Caldwell lead sled and am going to try it the next time I go. It seems to be very stable with no movement at all. With the sled, I can at least work up some good loads that I know are accurate and then work on my shooting technique.

FirstFreedom

Yeah, I'd like to have a lead sled - there's no way I can determine what my rifles & loads are capable of without one, what with my heartbeat making the sight picture go in little circles. Somehow I don't think it'd be in my best interest to try to stop my heart from beating. I'd be interested to hear the post-lead-sled results.

GhostRider32

Yeah, my heartbeat is like that except it makes my scope jump to the left every second. I try to time my shots but it doesn't work to well. I put the gun in the sled and wow, no movement whatsoever. I'll give a field report when I go shooting next week.

texfar

I shoot my 12BVSS from a Sinclair rest with a "Bald Eagle" Bunny ear back rest on my own range. Am putting up a concrete bench set up for the ultimate, no movement, bench. Hope your 12BVSS in .308 shoots as well as mine does Ghostrider32. Sometimes if you are gripping the rifle too tight even on your rest, you will really get the heart beat. Off of the Sinclair rest, as with the Lead Sled, you don't have to grip the rifle tight, only lightly which lightens up the heart beat. Works for me coupled with a light trigger.

Oh, forgot to mention that the Chrono readout on the Sierra 55 Grn. HPBT, #1390 out of the Sierra book at 36.1 grns, using a 26 inch barrel is 3700. My load prior to Final Finish was about 3680 or so. Since my Final Finish application on the 12BVSS 22-250, the Chrono reading (Oheler 35P) was a Mean of 3827.

texfar

Ghostrider32, I will preface my reply with the statement that I am not an employee of SSS (superior shooting systems),(www.davidtubb.com), nor am I endorsing the product for personal gain. I am only passing on a product that I have found has worked in my application. After looking this stuff up and making your own calls to their staff, make your own decision.

Tubb's Final Finish is a product that produces an effect that we call fire lapping the barrel of your rifle. In short, you shoot a bullet coated with different grits of abrasive at a reduced load and remove tool marks, burrs, and other factory nasties as well as uniforming the barrel diameter the entire length of the barrel. Tubb's claims that no more than .0003 of metal is removed if the entire process is used which is 50 bullets. Not all bullets were used for my new Savage 12BVSS. It is supposed to reduce your fouling, allow for more shots before accuracy falls off and lots of other stuff. I can tell you that it is working for me. You will also find yourself in a small corner when discussing this. I have followed David Tubb for many years and have used other products by him. He developes this kind of thing for his own use and now has passed it on to the rest of the shooting world. The products he sells, he uses. Enough said for this post. Look up the website above and it will tell you all about it and David Tubb. Pretty accomplished marksman.