Savage 112FVSS in 30-06

Dogger

Was browsing the Savage website and saw the 26 inch barreled, synthetic stocked, stainless steeled barrel 112FVSS and started drooling. Rascal weighs 9 pounds. With a nice Leupold scope it would weigh over 10. Good grief, what would I do with this rifle? Would order it in 30-06. Do you think it will shoot inside an inch at 100 yards? Help talk me into this rifle, if you would please. :)

scottsw1

I have a model 110 in 30.06 and love it! I've had a trigger job done and replaced the stock with a synthetic stock and the action is glass bedded. How is it for accuracy you might ask, a friend thought that my cheap rifle couldn't be that accurate until he hit the dead center of the target a 100 yards. I handload and we were using a rest but the rifle is dead on! I think Savage rifles are a best buy.

bergie

You need this rifle

if you hunt mostly from a stand. I wouldn't really care to tote it around much, but if I was to set up overlooking a nice big meadow with intentions of putting down anything that walked out into it, it would be an excellent choice. If it doesn't shoot less than moa, you could give it to me ;)
bergie

Keystone

Dogger,
I bought the 112 FLVSS Savage (same rifle you saw except for LH bolt) in .25-'06 last spring. Added a 6.5x20 Vari X 3 and a Harris bipod.

Rifle shot a 1/2" 5-shot group (at 100 yards) with 4 of the 5 making one ragged hole, with factory 100 gr Remington ammo

Subsequent loads with the 75 gr VMax bullet were not as accurate (around 1") but were absolutely devastating on Upstate NY woodchucks.

The thing does get a bit heavy to carry around, and is quite barrel-heavy, as the stock is really light. I bought a 1 1/2" wide sling but it was always slipping on my shoulder as the barrel tried to rotate down towards the ground. This year I will get one of those wide slings that flare out where the sling rests on your shoulder, and I'll line it with a non-slip material.

The most fun I had with the rifle was blowing over bowling pins at 400 yards. Went through 30 rounds in about half an hour. Barrel got HOT!!! but was still shooting.

Trigger is really heavy, and everyone on shooters.com varmint bulletin board recommends replacement with a $90 adjustable trigger from Sharp Shooter Supply. I plan on doing that this spring.

Also, the stock is a bit flimsy, but is serviceable. Sharps has a nice looking repplacement one on their website, along with the trigger
See http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Trails/4263/trigger.htm and http://www.varminthunters.com/sshooter.html

[Edited by Keystone on 02-17-2001 at 12:25 AM]

Kaboom

My son bought one of these in 300 Win Mag. Put a 4.5 by 16 on top and a set of bipods. This thing shoots extremely well right out of the box. He hasen't had time to really start working on a proper handload but with the way it shoots common PMC ammo these have got to be the best bargain in long guns. The heavy barrel make these very easy to shoot offhand because of the weight hanging foreward. Don't see how you can go wrong. I have an old 111CL in 7mm Mag. that shoots just as well. Good firearms company with great products and a great price. Go for it you won't be sorry.

Dogger

Hey Poodleshooter!

The 700 Classic in 7mm-08 is first on the list! :) But my local gun dealer claims it is not yet available... :(

So I am looking at the Savage. The Savage is also available in 25-06!

Nimrod

A good stiff barrel should get you most of the way to 1 moa; this has that. Couple a reasonably stiff action, well fitted luggs and a decent trigger it had darn well better be sub moa. If not you're using the wrong caliber ammo!

AAChang

I have a Savage 110 in 7mm Rem Mag and I gotta say that I love it. Savage is known for making some of the most accurate rifles for the prices. They really are a good deal.