Savage 111XP fail

joe sixgun

I posted this on another forum but within a different thread, so I thought maybe I'd post here also.
ANYWAY, I picked up a Savage 111XP on Saturday. Today I got to shoot it. After 12 rounds through it the front action screw fell out. I found the screw, but the threads in the receiver are damaged. It looks like it was cross threaded and never properly seated. Should I send it back to the factory or just run a tap through it myself? I bought it new in box from retailer.

Kosh75287

Not sure how the retail laws work in Michigan (God Bless Bob Seger), but if it was sold to me new in the box, I'd be asking for my money back, down here. I would THINK that anything you do to remedy Savage's ineptitude could be viewed by them as violating whatever warranty protection you currently enjoy. I believe I'd take it back to the LGS first, and if they don't CHEERFULLY refund/exchange/do right by you on the rifle, I'd be on the phone to Savage forthwith.

joe sixgun

Yup, they referred me to Savage, so I called them. Savage said no problem, they will fix it. But the problem is that it could take 4-5 weeks. I might just pay a local smith to do it so I can have it back immediately.

joe sixgun

I just ended up going to the hardware store and getting a tap and did it myself. No big deal I just didn't want to void any warranty for future use by tampering with it. Savage C.S. said no problem so all is good.
FOR THE RECORD I AM STILL A SATISFIED SAVAGE CUSTOMER.

stagpanther

I've had a few "miracle" weapons--ones which had abnormalities which the retailer said "no way that happened while we had it in inventory" and the manufacturer also said "no way it left the factory in that condition." LOL I've never been left "high and dry" by Savage--or Ruger.

joe sixgun

I seem to be having a run of this luck lately. I bought a tactical scope for my AR just before Christmas and at about 80 rounds the crosshairs started to rotate. I didn't keep my receipt but the retailer (Dunhams) still took it back and replaced it with an upgrade from a different manufacturer. It wasn't even at the same location I bought it from.
So bad luck followed by great customer service. No blood no foul. All is good.

stagpanther

I'm sure you did it anyway--but did you read the owner's manual all the way through and do a clean/disassemble of the gun prior to use? There's a proper way to align the the action to the stock and the sequence of screw torquing is important--you can't just insert and wail down on them.

joe sixgun

Actually I did not. I did clean the bore before firing but did not disassemble the whole rifle. Maybe would have noticed that screw if I did. I will remember that next time.