Savage 111 22-250 KEYHOLE/ TUMBLING

SRE

Hey guys I recently built a varmint rifle on a Savage Model 111 action in 22-250. I pressed ammo for it and have been shooting it for quite some time now. I usually run 36g Varmint Grenades, 40g Sierra Varminters, 55g Hornady Varmints, 50g Varminators all on top of either Varget or H4895.

I made some ammo this past week using 60g Hornady V-Max on top of 42g Hodgson Hornady Superformance. After range testing at 80-100 yards it looks like the 60g V-Max's are tumbling or keyholing, but I'm not sure. My savage either has a one and 12 or one in 14 inch twist I believe. So how could they be keyholing or tumbling? Please look at pics, what do you think? Top picture is 36 grain varmint grenades and bottom picture is 60 grain VMAX (These shots were from 100 standing off of shooting sticks, Vortex 4-12)

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    122.3 KB · Views: 65

Catfish

You are pushing the limits of a 12 twist, but I would not have thought that it would tumble a 60 gr. bullet, really the same with the 14 twist, but I would believe that sooner. At any rate you`ve got what you`ve got. If it shoots well with the lighter bullets stay with them. I once had a 270 win. that was an absolute tack driver with the 110 gr. Sierra bullet with 4831 powder behind it. It shot like crap with any other bullet or powder. :confused:

SRE

Yes sir, thats what im saying.... 55g Hornady Varminters are great running thru it. But these 60 grainers are looking like they are tumbling. And with a 1-12'' or 1-14'' it should still be ok. I dont know whats going on. Maybe it just doesn't like the 60g V-Max's. Or it could be the Superformance powder. I believe I shot the 60's with H4895 or Varget before and they seemed to be fine. Could it be the powder? Ive been reloading for a long while, never ran into something quite like this before.

Snyper

Could it be the powder?
I know of no reason why the powder would make a difference

Stabilization is a function of velocity and rate of twist in relation to bullet weight and length

What you use to reach the proper velocity shouldn't affect it enough to keyhole

A defect in the crown "might" have some effect, but should be apparent with all bullets

TimW77

60g V-Max

All of the V-Max bullets seen to be extra long for their weight...

Most likely the twist rate of your barrel is to slow...

But, it could be the bullets themselves...

I've had problems with the 50g V-Max bullets in the past.

Barrel had a 1:8" twist so that was not the problem...

Was shooting a rifle (RRA AR-15 with 24" bull barrel and Wylde chamber) with known excellent accuracy. Would chew the "X" out of the "X Ring" at 100 yards with Sierra 50, 52 and 55 g MatchKings...

Shooting the 50g V-Max at 100 yards this rifle could not hit an 8" target at 100 yards...

T.

Mobuck

My old 220 Swift is a 1-14 twist and it will barely stabilize 55 grain cup and core bullets(only at max velocity). Accuracy is great with 50 Ballistic Tips but 55 BT's are a waste of powder. No need to even waste time on 60's.

Roadkill2228

It's just as much about bullet length as it is weight, if not more. Also, in my very recent experience about which I will post a separate thread, bullet bearing surface matters with these things. The .220 swift I'm playing with right now wouldn't shoot 53 vmax at all (Keyholing everywhere at 25 yards)...but it shoots well with 55 grain flat base nosler varmageddon bullets. If your rifle works with a wide range of bullets already, I think you'll just have to let it go (and hopefully find a home for your 60gr bullets - dont know what I'm going to do with the 53 grain vmaxes I have)