Savage 110E 270Win ReBarrel options.

PunchinPaper

I have a Savage 110E 270Win that I am thinking about rebarreling in a different caliber. Does anyone know what my caliber options are with out having to switch the bolt face? I know I can rebarrel to: 270win,25-06,30-06, I am just wondering if there is any other options. I am new to the savage barrel swap world any info will help. Thanks

Scorch

I know I can rebarrel to: 270win,25-06,30-06,
. . . 22-250, 220 Swift, 22 Newton, 6mm Rem, 243, 250-3000, 256 Newton, 6.5-284, 280, 284, 7-08, 7X57, 300 Savage, 308, 8X57, 338 Federal, 338-06, 358 Win, 35 Whelen, 9X57, 9.3X62, and a virtually unlimited number of wildcats. How about 6mm-06? 375 Whelen? 8mm-06? 30 Gibbs? This list could go on a long ways . . .

quepasakimosabe

I do not know how much money or quality/brand you want but to make things easy E.R. Shaw sells kits what come with a barrel, gages, lube/grease, and a wrench for around 200 from midway. I am a huge fan of one stop shopping/simple. Now all you have to do is find a friend with a Vise and scrap 2x4 for a barrel block!

Wyosmith

Yes, anything based on the 30-06 case is a "drop in" installation.
However, I would ask what you will use the rifle for? Is there a reason to change from the 270?
If the recoil of a 270 is a bit much then going to a 25-06 is 'better"
If you are hunting black timber for elk, or if you hunt where there are a lot of grizzlies a 338-06 or 35 Whelen would be "better".
If you can only have one gun, and you don’t handload load ammo and never will, the 30-06 is the best all around shell you can have.
However in my opinion, for most deer and elk hunting the 270 is still on top.

Wyosmith

No mapsjanhere, it's the 30-06 on the Savage ---- because of the fact the shells must also feed from the magazine box. The 57MM shell has the same head, and it was earlier (which is true) but the Savage box is longer and the taper is a bit different.
You can convert to any 57MM Mauser shell and to any shell based on the 308 but they are not “drop-ins”. They require also replacing the magazine boxes and in some cases the surrounding metal that holds the box.
Heck, you CAN convert to a 222 or 223. You need to change the complete bolt head, the bottom metal, the magazine and the barrel. I have been told with the newest Savage parts available, you would also have to change the stock because Savage now makes both long and short actions, where as a few years back, a Savage in 223 had the same receiver as a Savage in 7mm Mag.
But as you can see, you are getting into a lot of extra parts and the expense of a new rifle in many cases.

PunchinPaper

I was under the impression that long action cartridges like 270win,30-06 were all that I swap to without alot of mods due to the action length.
If I wanted to dropin let's say a 22-250 barrel ,all I will need is a barrel kit from midway and a vise/barrel block?

quepasakimosabe

Yes, the last thing you MAY run into is a feeding issue but that can be remedied by getting a magazine from savage, midway, brownells ect that is for the caliber you want but your stock will have a hole for the larger round and you may have to install some sort of spacer ect. I have heard of people chambering long actions for short rounds but i have not personnaly seen the magazine setups they use. Look at the overall length of the cartridge you are swittching to and the cartridge width and taper as well. Like I said earlier I dont think you will run into a problem I just have no hands on experience with it.

Catfish

The bolt face is very easy to change on the Savages and by changeing it you can chamber it for any round you want.

quepasakimosabe

oh and the first time you break the barrel off the action it is going to require gorilla strength, breaker bars are your friend. OR, get a heat gun (600-1000 blow dryer) and heat the area after soaking with penetrating lube overnight so that it is easier. you dont have to leave the heat gun in place long just enough to make it pretty warm. My mentors were big fans of the right tool for the right job and I have a collection of tools I have made or purchased that get used once in a lifetime. Since having children the income dosent go as far and I have learned to get by with ingenuity. Not always the right way but it works I only do this to my cars, guns, ect. if it is someone elses I wait take my time and do it the "right" way.