savage 110

handgunhunting

I am thinking about getting a savage 110 rifle in 30-06. I want to make it into a "Simi tactical" rifle (poor man's sniper rifle). I am looking for any information good and bad on the Savage 110 rifles.
what work would be needed?
The first thing I will be doing is replacing the stock, then maybe sending it off to have a target crown put on it and maybe a Timmy trigger in about 2 lb. what is everyones thought?

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
From a budget-conscious standpoint, I'd start with the Timney trigger (Around $70). Before buying anything else, I'd meddle with the bedding of the present stock (Do some search and browse at this forum.)

Then, just do some load testing/exploring, to find what works best with what you first have. I've gotten excellent accuracy with Sierra bullets, particularly the boat-tails.

Beginning on p.80 of the November, 2002, Guns&Ammo is an excellent article about accuracy in rifles.

I've never seen any need for a "sniper" stock. Standing, sitting, hasty rest or bench rest, a regular stock that fits well has worked just fine out to 500 yards. I've never needed more than 9X or 10X to easily get good groups out at 500 yards from my shooting table.

My pet '06 is a medium-weight sporter with a 26" barrel. I've only played with the bedding of the forearm and installed a Canjar trigger. Even after around 4,000 rounds through it, it will provide such as 4-shot, 4" groups at 500 with the Sierra 165-grain HPBT. Firing at a rate of about four rounds per minute, I had two called flyers and eight hits in 6" in a 10-shot string with Sierra 180-grain SPBT.

If you need better accuracy than that, I'd guess you'll be spending more than "po-boy" money.

Best luck,

Art

Hemicuda

I personally shoot a Savage 110-E in 30-06...

with GREAT "minute of dinner" accuracy...

the last 20 some odd times I have pointed it at dinner, and pulled the trigger, I ate the meat I was shooting at...

On paper it'll shoot 1" groups all day long... and mine's got the stock (all be it OLD style) adjustable trigger...

I added a Chaote fiberglass stock, a Simmons 4-10 X 44Mag scope on weaver rings and bases, and a leather sling...

I have been killing deer and elk with this rifle since 1985, with GREAT success... my only complaint was the origianl light colored cheap hardwood stock, with the rolled checkering... (HIDEOUSLY ugly!!!) The Choate fixed that!

I am taking this very rifle to Colorado a week from yesterday to hunt elk again... and am looking forward to eating fresh elk-steaks yet again...

Hard to go wrong with a Savage 110... (and this from a collector and shooter of Mausers and pre-64 Winchesters...)

Sisco

Hard to beat a Timney trigger, but before spending the cash try adjusting the factory trigger, got mine safely down into the 3lb range.

Savage110

Hey-
Just bought a Savage 110 in .30-06, and topped it with a Swift 6-18x50. I like the rifle a lot- it's accurate and a whole lot of fun. The only things I don't like are the stock (plastic-ey tupperware feeling) and the trigger, but I'm going to replace those with a Choate Ultimate Sniper Stock and a Timney match trigger. Other than those two things, it's a really good rifle. I'd definitely recommend it.
-Nic