Savage 110 purchase?

Doug S

Last year was the first time I had hunted in 16 years. In the interim I had sold off my Remington 700, 7600 Carbine, and Marlin 30-30. Last season I borrowed a rifle from a friend, and I can do so again this year, but I think I'd like to pick up a "cheap" but decent quality rifle of my own. A local hardware store has a Savage 110 in 270 caliber with a wooden stock and a 3x9x40 Tasco scope for $275. It appears to be in very decent shape overall, no rust, and the wood looks good, but it didn't have checkering on the stock like the pictures of older 110' that I've seen on the Internet. I'm not sure about the age of the gun, but I'm assuming it's not of very recent vintage. The riflings also looked good. Action functioned smoothly. My other options from the same shop, a Ruger American for $339 without a scope, a Remington 770 for $319 w/scope (which I've read bad reviews on), or Savage Axis with a scope for about the same as the Ruger. Comparing the guns the 110, just felt better, aimed more naturally, and seemed to function more smoothly like rifles that I've owned in the past. The Ruger American (which would probably be my second choice) just didn't "feel" as good.

So my question is, based on the above limited info, should the stock have checkering, or has it been refinished. Other than the lack of checkering, the stock doesn't look to be refinished (no rounded edges, etc.). Oh, and there is no hinged floorplate on this stock. Does the $275price tag sound reasonable for a 110 that doesn't appear to have seen much in the way of hard use, or would the Ruger American be a better rifle? Serial number on the Savage is in the 972###...don't know if that helps with anything.

Thanks very much for any help on this.

Last edited:

hooligan1

The 110 is a better rifle than the new ruger, there is more aftermarket stuff for the 110, plus if you want a different caliber just haul that barrel off and put another on yourself!;)

Doug S

Thanks for the responses. I'm going to pick up the Savage. As I said in my earlier comments, it just fit and felt much better than the Ruger. Seems like a gun with a good history, versus the newer with a lesser track record.

tango1niner

Ruger American is a nice gun but the stock is flimsy, not good in my opinion.
Does the Savage have the accu-trigger? If not check out the price of a new one with and compare. In any case you can't go wrong with a Savage 110.
My $.02.

Doug S

Thanks tango1niner for the additional comments. I'm not sure about the trigger. I agree the stock on the Ruger just felt flimsy. It also didn't seem to aim as naturally. I still might pick one up in the future, just to try one out, but for now I'm going to play it same and go with the 110.

Again, I appreciate everyone's feedback.

Kreyzhorse

You can't go wrong with the Savage. I own a 110 myself and it is accurate and reliable. The scope on the other hand is junk and so are the rings. Plan on replacing both. If you can't afford both on top of the gun purchase, at least replace the rings.

tobnpr

Let us know how it works out.
I picked up an older model FM Sierra lightweight with the intent of using just the action for a build. It was the correct caliber (7-08), so I couldn't resist working up some loads while waiting for the new barrel I'd ordered.

The lightweight 20" barrel shot cloverleafs...almost didn't want to take it off.

Doug S

Will do, and again I appreciate the responses. I have them holding the rifle for me. Reviews of the Ruger sound pretty good, but for now I'm going to get the Savage.

TX Hunter

My Son has one of those old Savage 110 Rifles just like the one you described, I bought it second hand in a Pawn Shop Right before he was Born 17 Years ago. I gave it to him when he was 12. If I were to review it I would give it 5 Stars. It performed flawlessly and I used it on Several Hunts, My Son and I have both stacked up alot of game with it. Ours is a 30 06. You made the right choice and picked a fine Rifle. Congratulations.
I wouldnt worry about the checkering, ours dosnt have any either.:)

sc outdoorsman

I have a Savage pre accutrigger I bought a few years back. I started out looking for a used rifle to buy my son for Christmas. After I held a few Savages, I realized how well they fit me and had to have one. That rifle turned into my main hunting rig after I shot it and put decent scope on it. If it is not a accutrigger and has a 3 screw trigger it can be easily adjusted.

I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine.

Edit: If you decide to put a shorter scope on it you will need offset bases on the long action. I put DNZ reapers on mine and really like them.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/68...hrough-116-flat-rear-long-action-matte-medium

Last edited:

Doug S

This thread started off slow, but really has picked up and provided me with some much appreciated feedback. Thanks everyone. I feel very comfortable with the decision to go with the 110 over the new Ruger. I'll post back after I've shot it a few times to let everyone know how it shoots. And I agree with SC Outdoorsman, the rifle fits me better than any other that I have owned previously.

4runnerman

Just picked up a Savage Axis xp in a 243. Man does that thing shoot nice. Horrable trigger pull,but that can be fixed easy.

Rebel9793

i have the Savage axis in .223 and it is accurate as all get out. Ive actually outshot my uncles R700. trick to it is to take the trigger assembly off and clip a coil or two off the trigger spring. lightens the trigger significantly ;)

Rebel9793

I will make sure to do that. I know for a fact that the 55gr vmax with 26gr of Varget is smokin. put 5 rounds (full mag) down range and your huntin on of the bullets cause it groups so tight.