Savage 110 package gun - is it free floated?

Warm Bore

I'm just about ready to pick up one of these with a walnut stock and wanted to double check something. The catalog says these guns are pillar bedded and free-floated. Anyone have one of these? Is it really pillar bedded and free-floated in the walnut stock? Heard lots of great things about the 110 rifles so I thought at the very least it would make a great beater gun. But, in truth I'm hoping to squeeze as much accuracy out of it as possible.

Thanks for the info,

Warm Bore

Cornelius

yes, it is free floated and pillar bedded. as far as i know, all relatively recent savages are free floating, at least centerfire rifles. i bought a package similar to that, but with synth. stock in 30-06. i got it to ave. 1.1" groups at 100y, but only ever shot stand. factory loads. very good rifle imo.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
If you're not satisfied with the groups you get, try making a shim to place out at the tip of the fore end of the stock.
I use kitchen wax paper. Cut a 3/4" strip, and fold it back and forth until it requires about a five-pound pull for enough separation to insert it. Wax paper won't absorb moisture. The shim acts as a vibration damper, like the shock absorber on a car.

Some rifles don't need it; some, it helps--more often, the latter case.

Regards, Art

Tshoes

110 package gun

Warm Bore, I doubt seriously the 110 package gun is free floated, or pillar bedded.......
These package rifles are for hunting purposes.
Especially with the wooden stock.(hardwood stock).
As Art said, I imagine you already will have some forend pressure with this rig.
And if so, do not try to free float it....you will hurt the accuracy 9-10 times....
Now, if was one of the laminated jobs, heavy barrel, or the synthetics....I would tend to agree.
To be sure, go to the Savage website, and look it up.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Tshoes, when I first acquire a new-to-me rifle, I check to see if it's free-floated. If not, I make it so. From the receiver ring to within one inch of the tip of the fore end, I remove as much as 1/8" of wood under the barrel' 1/16, +/- on the sides. Only some ten thousandths' clearance at the tip. Then, I do the shim thing. Per my Auldtimers' memory, it has always made an improvement.

It's a Gunsmith's Kink my old uncle taught me, some 50 years back; he must have learned it from Great Grandpa. And now you know. :D

If a stock "walks around" with changes in humidity, my system allows for easy fixing...Just a little sanding at the front end.

FWIW, Art

Tshoes

Good Info Art

A lot of folks think free floating HELPS all barrels......
It of course does not.( I'm talking 100% here).
Sporter weight barrels, as you know, are not stress relieved, and thence the underlying reason for the forend pressure to begin with.
As they heat from firing they ( like almost all barrels, but these to a much greater degree ) "Walk", and change POI...this is the reasoning for the forend pressure.
Your method refines it to a greater degree.One that the factories don't go to the trouble of doing.
If they stress relieved their barrrels, then all barrels would probably better off free floating.
All this said, you already know this, but a lot of Newbies don't........

DL

This may be a silly question, but what about synthetic stock rifles? I've got a Ruger 77 in .30-06 that's stainless with a synthetic stock. It's got some pressure on the barrel at the front of the stock. Do the same rules apply? It shoots better than I do, but as I get better with it (and I'm just starting to reload for it), I'm wondering if it can be tweaked the same way.

Thanks...

DL

Tshoes

Same rules.....

DL,
the only foolish question, is one never asked.....and, yes the same rules apply..........

Warm Bore

Ok,

It does appear that the package guns are free-floated and pillar bedded. The catalog and web-site states the package gun barrel is "free-floating and button-rifled". Elsewhere in the catalog and web-site it states: "Dual Pillar" Bedding - Pillar Bedding is used to enhance accuracy by providing maximum stability for the action. "Dual Pillar" bedding is accomplished by permanently embedding two steel pillars in the stock. Front and rear action screws are inserted through the two pillar sleeves into the receiver to provide steel-to-steel contact points. This is actually on the Hunter Series page which is their bottom end model.

Thanks for the help,

Warm Bore

Tshoes

Thanks for the Update....

Warm Bore, good to know, I know that used to not be the case.
Also, when Savage first came out with "Pillar Bedding", they used two pieces of wood, or some type of fiber affair.
Not, what traditionally comes as Pillar bedding.
having looked at many Savages, and only ever owning one, a (110FP), it's good to know they are continuing to upgrade their rifle lines...........