Savage 110 Long Range Hunter - advice please

Famas

After a long while, I saved funds for the Savage 110 Long Range Hunter, but before I make the final decision, I wanted to ask members their advice on this particular rifle. Any reviews, thoughts? Should I go 6.5 Creedmore or .308? (I'm assuming that if it fires .308 this is also good for 7.62 NATO?).

Anyway, I can't seem to decide which caliber I should ask for. Thanks for any input.

Doyle

Hard to go wrong with either, but what is the purpose of this rifle? Hunting? Targets? What range? Do you reload or are you limited to using factory ammo? Etc.

stagpanther

I have one in 338 Lapua Magnum and I think it's about the best Tupperware rifle I've ever had, it's the only one I've had that I didn't see the necessity to upgrade. Otherwise--you're faced with a cartridge choice and I'll defer on that discussion since it will predictably degrade into something along the lines of a 9mm vs 45acp discussion.:D

Classic12

I also have one in .338 LM, in my country (Switzerland) it’s about the cheapest rifle you can get in that caliber.

I haven’t shot it much, and not past 300 m yet, but it’s (literally) a blast to shoot. And the muzzle break is super efficient

31c46e1c8a3d1a95e64e6cbc5e8afed0.jpg

Famas

Hard to go wrong with either, but what is the purpose of this rifle? Hunting? Targets? What range? Do you reload or are you limited to using factory ammo? Etc.

A sort of "all-around" rifle for any use. Right now I'm leaning towards .308, just because a friend yesterday explained to me that at this point, it is still more readily available than the 6.5...and perhaps a little more "ooomph" for hunting i.e. a "ethical kill" as opposed to a horrible wound.

Famas

I have one in 338 Lapua Magnum and I think it's about the best Tupperware rifle I've ever had, it's the only one I've had that I didn't see the necessity to upgrade. Otherwise--you're faced with a cartridge choice and I'll defer on that discussion since it will predictably degrade into something along the lines of a 9mm vs 45acp discussion.

I've fired .338 before and it's a beast. I loved it, but for my small stature it's just a bit much. Also the cost of the ammo is prohibitive, at least with my budget, to go plinking much. I'm sure it could take down any animal on the North American continent, but I can't imagine tracking/hiking with it.

Doyle

A sort of "all-around" rifle for any use. Right now I'm leaning towards .308, just because a friend yesterday explained to me that at this point, it is still more readily available than the 6.5...and perhaps a little more "ooomph" for hunting i.e. a "ethical kill" as opposed to a horrible wound.
The 6.5CM is plenty for any deer-sized animal in the US so don't worry about lack of effectiveness there. If you were ever going to hunt elk or moose, then yes the .308 would have an advantage. But, realistically how many of us get that opportunity? As to ammo availability - yes. That was where I was going to with the reloading question. .308 was (until the recent shortage) much more readily available. I highly suspect that will be the case when ammo comes back to store shelves. Retailers will stock the most popular calibers first.

std7mag

Ahhh, the great caliber debate.
Speed, bullet weight, percieved recoil.

Twer it me, i would go with none of the above cartridges.

I'd go with the 280 Ackley.
Less recoil than the 338LM. Though more than the 6.5CM.
Less expensive on components or loaded ammo than the 338LM.
Again, more than the 6.5CM.

Where it shines over the 6.5CM & 308, i believe, is bullet selection and the velocities you can get from the cartridge, and rifle.

It is a "long range hunter" your getting.

Loaded with some 168gr VLD, or 175gr ABLR, the 280AI would make a fine rifle.
Plus, in a pinch you can shoot standard 280 Rem in it.
I have more reasons for the AI, but not time or space.

stagpanther

I definitely wouldn't argue against the 280 AI--spectacular all-around cartridge IMO. If I could only have one rifle in one chambering, it would be this. I wasn't actually recommending the 338 LM as the cartridge of choice (among other things it has a voracious appetite for powder)--it's the only newer 110 LRH I have and I think it is as close as you can get to a perfectly-made Tupperware gun as I've ever seen.

Last edited: