Savage 11 front sight ramp replacement

Rev Dr

I picked up a good deal on a Savage 11 in .308 and would like to replace the plastic front sight ramp and sight with metal parts. It shoots great but is ugly as heck. Getting rid of some of this plastic would just make me feel more at ease. The plastic front sight slides out of the plastic ramp and there's a screw in the dovetail slot. Any advice on figuring out how to measure or what to order would be gratefully appreciated. I've looked at midway and brownells but am unsure what I'm looking for. Thanks.

James K

Member In Memoriam
The key element is the height of the base. There are a couple of Williams ramps that should work, even using the original screw. Just curious, but did you try Savage? Often makers who try plastic go back to steel and you can buy retrofit parts.

Jim

Rev Dr

Jim,

I appreciate your typing at me.

Did check savage and have seen parts lists but none shows a picture or gives material of the ramp. Price on them looked like plastic--three or four bucks I thought.

Measure height from the bottom of the sight dovetail to the high or the low point on the bottom of the ramp, guess it'd have to be the high point, the longer measurement?

How do I tell what barrel contour I need or is that important? I seen different contour numbers and wasn't sure what to pick.

Thanks for your time.

James K

Member In Memoriam
If you order from Brownells, tell them what gun it is for and they should be able to tell. Anyway, within reason the contour can be changed. Just wrap a piece of emery paper around the barrel (emery side out) and rub the base back and forth on it until the contour is right.

Jim