Savage 10FP in .308

TPAW

My local gun shop has a left over (new) Savage 10FP, 20 inch barrel in .308, and is asking $575.00 for it. Is that a fair price?

blacksky

That is a good price!

That is a good price on this rifle! I spent several months researching the same rifle in the fall last year. The lowest I found it anywhere was online for $504.00. I ordered it and never got anything but a refund. I finally bought it from Wholesale Hunter for $550. :)

attachment.php

farmall

I too have one of these. I upgraded to the Rifle Basix trigger and a Choate Ultimate Varminter stock. It wears a Burris 6x18 in Leupold mounts and I could not be any happier with it. Probably spent way to much on this, but got it the way I want it.
Andy

SPUSCG

Has anyone handled a savage accustock? savage is in my price range but id need a good stock, i hate savage standard synthetic stocks, and cant find a new accustock around

bald1

I bought my 20" 10FP 308 at the end of 1998 before the 20" was either in a catalog or on the Savage web site. Installed both a competition match trigger and a kelvar-fiberglass thumbhole stock with heavy wide varmint style forearm from Sharp Shooter Supply. It wears a Leupold Vari-X III 4.5-14x50 Long Range Tactical Mil-Dot scope in lapped QWP Torx 30mm rings over a 15 MOA shim. I've never shot anything but moly coated bullets (168 and 175g) and had originally seasoned the barrel with moly from KG. It has been incredibly accurate!

Mine came with the small knob bolt handle and I flirt on and off with getting a SSS tactical bolt handle but just never have.

There are 10 year old threads on this forum about it.

Here's a poor old picture of it. I also have a Gibbs M8500 bipod that I sometimes use.

PICT0395.JPG

Last edited:

bald1

A newer snapshot.....

FP10_M8500.jpg

and an older one showing that forearm. Seems SSS no longer offers these stocks (

FP10_M8500b.jpg

JDG

Buds has them listed for $480 delivered, may or may not be in stock. :)

Great guns! Mine started as a 10FP Folding Choate, but now has a Choate Ultimate Varmint Stock.;)
IMG_2751.jpg

XD45Compact

If at all possible, go with the 2009 model w/the Accustock. The most recent Rifle Shooter magazine (I think that's the magazine...I get so many it's hard to keep track) just did a back to back comparison w/the previous synthetic stock vs. the new Accustock in otherwise identical rifles and w/o doubt...the new stock produced tighter groups.

Both rifles were brand new, and broken in exactly the same manner. Savage claims 50% better accuracy and although the magazine was reluctant to repeat this claim....they definitely said the new Accustock was more accurate (and showed the grouping measurements between the 2, etc) and is offering a feature in an off-the-shelf rifle that would have cost a ton of extra money to customize just a short while ago.

The problem is....when the hell are they hitting the stores? I had been waiting since January for them to arrive in the stores around here in the Charlotte, NC area....calling nearly every week....nothing.

I finally found this website: http://www.savage-rifles.com/

Searched for the exact model I wanted, (16FHSAK Weather Warrior Series Rifle, , SS, 308 Win, 22", Muzzle Break, AccuTrigger, etc) and BINGO....they had multiple units in stock. It shipped the next day after they received my local dealers FFL info. I couldn't find this thing ANYWHERE, but they had it and for $100 under MSRP.

Here she is: http://www.savage-rifles.com/item/62908_Savage_Arms_Rifles_Shotguns_SAV_16FHSAK_308WIN_SS_HIN.aspx

You just have to make sure the model you're looking for has the Accustock because they are only putting him in certain models for now.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
I bought one a 10FP about 10 years ago for $430, so that price is probably about right for nowadays. Great rifle, just too darn barrel-heavy for deer huntin'! (I had a long barrel one.) Accurate as could be though.