Sauer and Son

Amin Parker

Hi all.

I can get one of these in 44 mag in reasonably good nick. Shot little.

Its a 6inch single action revolver. The 44mag is a serious calibre and i do not want to shoot it in a gun made out of foil.

Anyone have any opinions on them? Are they worth owning? It feels solid but...

aarondhgraham

I have a J. P. Sauer and Son in .357 magnum,,,

It's a generic looking plain Jane cowboy six-shooter,,,
I shoot the thing a lot using 158 semi-jacketed round nose cartridges.

I can't really tell you anything except that I've probably put 3,000 rounds through it with no problems,,,
There were a lot of cheap German made guns imported in the early 60's,,,
My experience is that this is not one of the crummy brands.

Hope this helps,,,

Aarond

I think these are the guns Herters put their name on for their 44 mags, & 401 power mags... as far as I know, they are not anywheres close to the same league as a Rohm... I think most all are pretty good pieces of equipment

g.willikers

Go for it.
Not as robust as a Ruger, but still plenty good.
I usta' have one and it lasted through years of mid to full power .44 Mag reloads.

old bear

If I remember these were considered to be decent quality revolvers, that are a good value for the money. As with any used firearm remember to check it out and assure yourself that it's safe to shoot. If you do buy one, I hope you will have lots of fun shooting it.

jtb1967

They're world's ahead of an RG, but I would still consider them on the lower level quality wise. If the price is cheap enough I'd pick it up, if it's any where near a used Ruger price wise, I'd move on.

radom

No they are not lower quality guns at all. They where a old world top line company just not that great on making revolvers is all. Now the company is called SIG.

jtb1967

Sig was a Swiss company that purchased the German company Sauer & Son. Sauer & Son did produce number high quality firearms, but being "not that good at making revolvers" isn't a long step from "lower quality revolvers". I'm sure they could have produced a revolver to rival any, but that was the market niche they were after. Hawes imported a number of them when the U.S. market was thirsty cheap single action revolvers.

Actually even some Sig affectionados feel current Sigs aren't up to the quality of the older guns, but that's a debate for another huge thread.

pesta2

My Dad has two in 44 mag. Nice Revolver, one of them the hand broke while firing it. The parts for them are hard to find. Found one and it arrived the wrong size. Found out that there are different sizes for the pin in the hand. Eventually after much looking (months and months) I found the one it need. Parts are getting scare. If I was you I would look for a Super Blackhawk, you can find one use around $400 and parts are plentiful for them.