SASS, CAS, Mounted Shooting

Phoebe

I haven't been on this board in ages, but while googling to try to get info on black powder, I ended up here. :)

I'm doing some research on cowboy mounted shooting and I'm finding some things are confusing me.

Can I run a few questions by you?

I'm assuming that the NRA 3 rules still apply when you're dealing with black powder blanks for cowboy shooting?

I read that wax bullets are used in mounted shooting, but CMSA seems to talk about black powder. This is also confusing me.

Does SASS have mounted and staged competitions and do the staged use real ammo?

If any of you are cowboy shooters and want to be interviewed for a blog, please ping me.

denster

Cowboy fast draw is against 2ft diameter plates rigged with a timer. Goodle cowboy fast draw and you will come up with the associatioon web page that will explain it all.

Tanker6

You may also visit the SASS website at www.sassnet.com (although they seem to be having technical difficulties this morning :rolleyes:) where you can read the SASS Manuals for Mounted Shooting. This should probably give you some invaluable information. There is also a Mounted Shooting Forum over there where I'm sure you'll find folks that have hands-on experience in the sport.

kraigwy

My wife and grandaughter play at mounted action, not competitively but in our arena.

I light load of smokeless power pushing a bit of "cream of wheat". A veg. fiber wad (from my BPCR shooting) to hold it all together. Don't need much.

As for a SASS mounted action shooting you have to use factory ammo designed for mounted action from a list of legit suppliers. Safety is the main concerned. Horses get pissy if you shoot their ears. It doesn't take much to pop a baloon at those distances.