SAR-8 Sporter?

smee78

Hello everyone,

I was in a LGS the other day and saw what I thought was just another HK type knock off rifle. I was checking it out and saw that it was a Springfield Armory SAR-8 Sporter (it was one of the EBO Greese built guns), it had the sporter one piece stock removed and replaced with a regular grip and stock and came with one mag. They wanted $1000 for the gun and I put it back to think about it. I had to impose a 24Hr rule on myself to stop my impulse buys (unless I knew it was a great steal/deal), I havent had a gun like this for some time and my old one was a Cetme that shot good but I ended up trading it for some other gun (cant even recall what for). I have been thinking about that gun non stop now and kind of think I should of picked it up. What do yall say? Good deal or keep walking?

Seven High

Does that SAR8 have an aluminum receiver? If so, there were issues with them during production. I would look it over very carefully before purchase.

peggysue

Great price for a great rifle. Take a pocket magnet and if receiver metal get it.

Last edited:

smee78

No this one does not have the aluminum receiver, it is a regular metal one. I am really thinking about this one...

smee78

Well I went ahead and put it on lay a way, it was in too good of shape to pass up. I opened it up the the bolt and internals were in perfect shape, clean and unmared. It was a fine example and will be a great addition to the collection.

10mm4ever

The SAR8 was a licensed HK 91, made in Greece on HK tooling. That's as close as you're gonna get to a genuine HK91. Nice score!

smee78

That was one of the reasons I went ahead and grabbed it. It really is a clean example and will be able to round out the collection.

smee78

Ya I remember having to do that with my old Cetme. I cant wait but its going to be a while until I get it off of lay-a-way. I am glad I was able to lock it down on lay-a-way, while it may take some time it will be mine:)

drobs

After owning a Cetme - I have no interest in another HK91 style rifle. That being said before jumping on that rifle I'd need to compare it price wise to the current going price of a GI PTR91.

I'm not a collector - I'd rather have a new rifle that I can beat on vs and old rifle that is either worn out or collectible.

ttarp

While I do love my PTR, the Greek License built are generally held in much higher regard than PTRs. I think it has to do with the build quality, you don't hear too much about problems with the Greek rifles, they're just built to a higher standard, PTR has let its share of lemons through.