Sand paper grade for stippling?

Smoke & Recoil

A picture would be good in helping you, there are just to many
variables to guess on...such as wood, metal and polymer (fancy word for plastic).

Mastrogiacomo

Sorry, I should have thought of that. I don't have a picture but it's a Glock. I had it professionally stippled but I'd like to smooth it a little more for comfort. The only part of the Glock that was stippled was the grip.

natman

I'd recommend 3M Wet and Dry. As far as grade, my rule of thumb is to start fine and see if you're getting satisfactory results. If you're sanding and sanding without accomplishing anything, go to the next coarser grit. I'd start with 600 and see how it goes.

Smoke & Recoil

O-ta now, that helps.
I'll be the first with a suggestion, but others will soon slame me.

Tape off the unaffected areas and start with around 320 grit, and from
there, go to a finer grade if need be.

But don't start just yet, read what others have to say too.

mete

You are talking about the plastic .That's very soft so no problem there but I get nervous with abrasive on the gun .Some of the abrasive will imbed into the plastic and may get into the metal work .It will abrade there also. I never use abrasives on the plastic stocks , just use a fine file .
You can also use engraving tools to cut designs into the plastic. I've done that so I don't get snide remarks from fancy shotgunners , about my Benelli ! :p

HiBC

In my experience,dry sanding plastic results in a fuzzier surface .
Whether to sand is your choice,

If you are going to sand,I suggest a wet or dry paper,wet.A 400 or 500 grit will do.
To clean up after that,any one of the following might be worth trying:

Very fine steel wool(or a tooth brush) charged with Bon Ami,wet.

A scotchbrite pad,maroon,might work well.

One of the Novus plastic polishing compounds.Automotive rubbing compound would be an alternative.

Even a very light buffing on a soft cloth wheel charged with a fine white compound.

I have never worked on a Glock frame or done what you are trying to do.

I have worked as a modelmaker .

Try any of it,gently,and observe the results.

I think everything I mentioned would do what you are trying to do.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Another possibility is to just use a polyurethane spray to fill in some of the stippling. That would cut down the cheese grater effect without changing anything.

Jim

T. O'Heir

Sand paper doesn't have brands. The grit required for what you're doing will depend on the material stippled. Steel will be nothing but a stone. Synthetics are pretty much the same idea. Synthetics all being different hardnesses.
A propane torch is far too difficult to control for the desired finish. Too hot too. It'll melt a Glock fast.
Since you paid a guy, I'd talk to him about it.