Same gun FA on 2 on 2 auction sites, is it right?

TheBluesMan

Moderator Emeritus
Is it right?

Maybe...

Neither auction has had the reserve price met as of yet, so it is possible that when one auction meets the reserve price, the seller could delete the other auction, or change the reserve price on the other one to $1 Million.

JMO.

AR-10

Nothing wrong with that unless he gets winning bids on both auctions. It's done all the time. The seller has the right to cancel the auction at any time prior to receiving a bid at or above the reserve price.

Seller receives email notification following every bid. I suppose he isn't going to be getting too far from the computer till one auction is cancelled.

I see he will sell it now for $550.00. He may be sitting by the puter for a while. ;)

beemerb

I have been doing auctions on line for 3 yrs.A person that places the same item on two auctions shouldn't be allowed to sell on either auction site.Its not right nor legal on most sitesIf I got the bid on one site and he sold it on another site I would file a complaint to the auction site and I would give him a negative feeedback.This is crooked way to do bus.You allso file a complaint with the feds as it is interstate commerce.

AR-10

I read the terms that a seller agrees to on both sites.

Gunbroker uses the policy that I stated.

Auction Arms expressly forbids listing an item on their forum and "in another venue" at the same time.

So, it looks like it's not kosher, but it is certainly not unusual.

I have seen it done dozens of times with no repercussions.
Ussually they are listed again and again without being sold, because the reserve is too high. Like the one listed here.

Don Gwinn

Staff Emeritus
Whether the auction specifically has rules against it or not, it's still unethical to let people bid in good faith if there's a chance they won't get the gun. As for waiting for a "winning bid," the winning bid comes about when the auction ends and not before, and you always know when each auction will end, so it's not as if you could possibly be surprised. If one ends on Tuesday morning and the other on Tuesday evening, you know which one will have a winning bid first and anybody bidding for Tuesday evening is screwed. If you're waiting to see if Tuesday evening brings a better winning bid, then the winning bidder Tuesday morning gets the privilege of bidding in good faith and being turned down after winning if somebody else beats the price he assumed was final.

AR-10

Don,

When I said winning bid, I should have said qualifying bid. That is, at or above reserve price.

As far as your chances of getting the bid, it really doesn't matter how many sites the gun is listed on if you are not going to bid above the reserve price. If you do bid at or above the reserve price, then the other auctions had better be shut down immediately.

Obviously this seller is breaking the rules of one of the auction sites. That is not ethical. It is done a lot. Auction Arms does not enforce their rules of conduct, it seems.

Offering a $700.00 dollar gun with a starting bid of $.01 and a reserve price of $900.00 is not the way I would do business, either, but it is done all the time.

If the auctions were run totally above board there would be no reserve price. Just a starting bid level. But then, you would have fewer people getting auction fever and bidding more on a firearm than it is worth.

Less profit for seller and site owner. And so it goes.