Salute to Veterans

44 AMP

Staff
I only salute officers, in uniform, outdoors when the tactical situation does not make it a risk. :D

For me, IIRC the last time I did it was 1978. ;)

and, in my family we always, and still call it Armistice Day.
:D

DaleA

To all those who served in ANY capacity in ANY of the armed forces I think it's cause to be justifiably.

The often quoted phrase says a lot.
We sleep soundly in our beds, because rough men stand ready in the night to do violence on those who would harm us---(I think, George Orwell)

On a sour note, I checked my local Public Broadcast TV schedule for tonight and while they are carrying the Veterans Day Salute program (a VERY good thing) they are also carrying other programs that really don't put veterans in a good light. Maybe that's their idea of 'balanced' programming.

44 AMP

Staff
I served, my children served (one still is) and someone in my family has served in every American armed conflict since we for with (NOT "for") the British against the French & Indians.

I don't expect to be thanked for my service. I am, in fact slightly uncomfortable when someone does. As I look at it, serving is just something a good citizen does.

I do thank those who have taken wounds and suffered injury as a result of their service. I don't thank them for their service, I thank them for their sacrifice.