Sako 75

Recurve77

I found a mint Sako 75 fired approx. 300 rds, original box and papers. Has scope rings. No key. $850.00. Any pros and cons would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Recurve77

PJR

Pros

Adjustable trigger, usually good accuracy, detachable mag is one of the better designs, two position safety with a secondary release to open the bolt without removing the safety.

Cons

Rifles can be a little on the heavy side compared to Remingtons or Winchesters. 300 rounds in one of the magnums (7mm WBY or STW) is not mint but is 10 to 15 per cent of the barrel's life. In one of the milder cartridges, it is just broken in.

Rings a little on the heavy side but solid. Get the low rings unless you are mounting a 50mm scope. Leupold rings for Sakos are crap. Warne rings are the best.

Detachable magazines are expensive to replace.

Conclusion

Not sure what the prices are like in your area but $850 sounds a touch high.

I like mine in .223. The frame is designed for the shorter cartridge and it's a little lighter than the larger calibers.

LevelHead

What caliber?

No key is the way to go.

I got mine brand new for just over $800 (stainless synth).

All depends on the gun - caliber? Stock? W/rings?

The Optilock rings retail for like $120 so that makes a big difference. Even the lows will mount a 50mm bell (up to 58mm http://www.sako.fi/mounts.html). I hav no idea why the optilocks are so damn high. I love them, but they're too high and can be hard to get.

IMO, Sako makes one of the best "out of the box" rifles in the world. I have a stainless synth in 7mm, and will soon augment that with a delux-stock blued model, also a magnum.

You'll be quite happy with it whatever it is.

Check out Ebay for mags and accessories. A guy by the name of Ridgerunner sells a lot of Sako stuff.

Enjoy it.