SAIGAS are now illegal to import, per ATF report today?

oneounceload

All interested persons may submit comments on this study.
Comments may be submitted by e-mail to shotgunstudy@atf.gov or by fax to (202)648-9601.
Faxed comments may not exceed 5 pages.
All comments must include name and mailing address.
ATF encourages submission of comments no later than May 1, 2011.

From the cover - they're not banned, they are doing a study

The fear and panic will drive the prices up sharply I'll bet though

Technosavant

A quick scan of the document indicates they're initiating a study, but the initial leaning (in the conclusion) is for non-importation of shotguns with any of the following:
- folding or telescoping stock
- bayonet lug
- flash suppressor
- magazine over 5 rounds or a drum mag (note: detachable mag are not a disqualifier)
- grenade launcher mount
- integrated rail system (not on the top cover, that is)
- light enhancing device
- excessive weight
- excessive bulk
- forward handgrip (like a VFG)

Currently, the Saiga 12 as imported has NONE of those things. They can be added by the end user, but that doesn't affect importability, since it's already here. As to whether there would be legal repercussions for the owner if he/she would do such a thing is another question.

I'm not really seeing anything that would prohibit imports of the Saiga. Now, the Chinese copies of the old trench gun would be out (due to the bayonet lug), but the Saiga has none of those evil features right out of the box.

A bigger question would be what might happen to owners (like me) who have done such things to their shotguns.

TheKlawMan

Kel Tec Bull PUP

I think the study is aimed at the Kel TEc Bull Pup. Technically it doesn't have a high capacity magazine, meaning one holding over 10 rounds. It has two seven shots.

oneounceload

Except the KelTec is US made, the Saiga is imported. I'm sure there are a few others, even from the big names like Beretta or similar, catering to LE groups that they fear might fall into civilian hands

TheKlawMan

My bad, oneounce. I was thinking of California where I do not believe the large capacity magazine restriction is limited to imports. See Cal. Penal Code § 12020(a)(2), (b).