Saiga IZ-114

Mike38

I did the search engine of this forum on this rifle, while there’s some good info, I really didn’t find what I was looking for.

I was at a gun show today looking for a semi auto .223 / 5.56 with a 16 inch barrel. Plan to do some “close quarters” to 300 yard shooting. Looked over all the AR15 platform rifles, and got sticker shock on just about every one. Have the prices gone up around 25% on these in the last 6 months or what? Anyhow, I ran across a Saiga IZ-114. Hummmm. .223 / 5.56. AK platform. 10 and a 30 round mag. 16.3 inch barrel. Decent front sight, iffy rear sight. $370. So here are my questions.

What’s the rate of twist?

How’s the accuracy of these rifles? I need around 2 MOA, maybe less.

Reliability? Are they as reliable as the AK47?

Parts availability? Good / Bad?

Is there a replacement peep rear sight available?

Aftermarket parts? Collapsible rear stocks like a M4?

Thank you in advance for replies.

Delaware_Dan

Saigas are great guns for the money. This post is pretty detailed so I can only answer a couple of questions as mine is a 7.62. I had a friend who had the .223 but he has passed.

Not sure of the rate of twist.

The .223 that I shot would group about 3 inches or so with cheap ammo if the shooter did his/her job.

We put a couple 500 round Brown/Black Bear bricks without ever a hiccup. Never asked him about malfunctions though.

Not sure what parts factory you would want or need or the availability. Aftermarket parts should be somewhat easy to come by. They are around for the 7.62.

As for a colapsable stock, you will want to check with the guys over at the Saiga forum. They have a 922 compliance calculator. To really do anything fun with this rifle you have to be compliant. I believe it's 5 US made parts to get the fun stuff like new stocks, high cap mags etc.

Check out http://forum.saiga-12.com/ Those guys are super helpful.

chris in va

I need around 2 MOA, maybe less.

Not gonna happen with an AK pattern rifle, generally speaking. They're not tack drivers, but meant to be uber reliable and belch ammo with aplomb.

It's not hard to unconvert a Saiga, just a couple hundred bucks for the parts and a few hours with hand tools. I got some of the parts from Dinzag.

Is there a replacement peep rear sight available?

There is now, called the Tech Sight. Originally made for 10/22's and SKS, but they branched out. Pricey.

Bottom line, sounds like you're still in AR-15 mode. Don't do that with an AK. They're not meant for what you are wanting.