Saiga Handguard on a Romanian?

B. Lahey

I buried this question in my other post about stocks and nobody has hit on it yet, so I figured I should split it out...

Can I put a Saiga handguard on a WASR 10/63?

I'm good on 922r, this question is strictly about nuts-n-bolts, not law.

FALPhil

The Saiga hand guard is held on by a cross pin in the gas block and a screw through the bottom front of the receiver. So, yes you can, but you have to figure the geometry out, such as location of the cross pin. It would help you if you had a Saiga to look at. Do you have any friends that own a Saiga?

B. Lahey

Dang. I was hoping it would be easy.:)

Drilling + tapping a hole in the receiver and drilling another hole in the gas block may be a little out of my league. Sounds like it would be easy to mess up.

Thanks anyway.

FALPhil

I don't think it would be that hard, it would just have to be precise.

And you don't have to tap the receiver; it is just a thin layer of sheet metal where you would have to drill.

There could be other options. You still have to attach it at the receiver end, but you could mount the front similar to how FAL handguards are mounted to the gas block.

hoytinak

Funny, most people buy Saigas and change the handguard to a more AK original look, but you're wanting to go the other way around. I also prefer the Saiga handguard as there's more to hold on to. When I converted my Saiga I chose to keep the handguard for that reason...plus I just think it looks better. ;) Maybe try the Saiga forum (http://forum.saiga-12.com/), I bet you're not the only one that wants/has done this.

Willie D

Saiga also has a special plain gas tube. Probably more trouble than just putting on new AK/Galil handguards.

B. Lahey

Hmmmmm...

I may have to look into this a bit more.

Cripes, this is the second time in as many months that I've wished I had a drillpress. I'm sure you could do it with handtools but I would probably walk the bit all over the work and end up with something that looks like it had plastic surgery in Guatemala.

I may ask a gunsmith I know about this. He prices fairly and does good work on basic stuff. I wouldn't have him build an M14 for me, but a Saiga handguard may be right up his alley.

Anyone know where I could buy a stock Saiga handguard?

FALPhil

I would head over to the Saiga-12 forum and ask. You can probably get one for just the cost of shipping.

chris in va

I like the stock handguard better too, as does my friend that owns two Arsenal AK's. Like others have said, more to hold onto. I may at some point drill out some holes however.