safn 1949

WeedWacker

I have heard that this rifle is compatable with multiple rounds, supposedly 7.62x39 and 7.62x51. The belgian I was talking to said it fored the "longer round" and I thought he was talking the NATO 7.62x51 but he said it might be able to fire the 7.62x57 (R) round. COnsidering it was designed during the cold war I could see how that would be feasable but I haven't found anything on the matter. Anyone know?:confused:

Casp_A

The FN M49 was available in 4 calibers from the factory; 8x57mm Mauser, 7x57mm Spanish Mauser, 7.65x53 Swedish/Argentine Mauser, and .30-06 Springfield. Argentina also modified some of them for 7.62x51mm NATO and 20 round detachable magazines. The most common model in the US is the Egyptian service model in 8x57mm.

ksstargazer

The FN 49 may be available in various chamberings such as 30-06, 7mm and 8mm, however there is no such thing as one that can fire multiple varieties of ammo. DO NOT TRY TO FIRE 7.62x39 in any of the chamberings. It was not a round the FN 49 was chambered in.

Gewehr98

As the owner of an 8mm FN-49...

Run what ammo the gun was designed for, and no other. There were no 7.62x39 FN-49s made by FN in Herstal. People come up with some really silly stuff, and when it hits the Internet, it gets promulgated as gospel truth. (Remember the old .45 Long Colt in the .410 shotgun myth?) Keep 7.62x39 ammo out of an FN-49, and feed it what is designated on the barrel markings.

There are chamber insert adapters that allow 7.62x39 ammo to be fired in a .308 Winchester or .30-06 Springfield gun. I don't trust them, but here's the site:

http://www.mcace.com/adapters.htm

There are only a very few firearms out there that are truly designed to accept multiple ammo types. The Medusa revolver is one of them. The old Astra 400 could also accept either 9mm Largo/Steyr and 9mm Parabellum. ;)