Safety pistol unload box

mikerault

I just wanted to know if someone has any idea what the boxes they have at police stations are called that they point their pistols into while unloading them?

Since most accidental discharges seem to happen during unloading it seems one might be a good addition to the home. I guess you could make one using sand as the stopping media.

Mike

DaleA

Reminds me of a story told to me a long time ago.

Clearing barrels.

An old 55 gallon barrel set at an angle, filled with sand and backed up by sandbags. This is the contraption that one day appeared at the entrance to the post office/finance office at a medium size military camp in a foreign country we ‘liked’ at the time.

There was a stenciled sign over it saying ‘Clearing Barrel’.

You see, twice a month the troops got paid. This meant each unit sent an officer (usually the most junior officer) to the building to pick up the payroll for the unit. Usually a few thousand dollars. This officer had to be armed and was usually given a .45 pistol and a seven round magazine for the task. On entering the building the officer had to take out the pistol and demonstrate the pistol was unloaded to one of the guards at the entrance. The pistol was carried with the loaded magazine in the gun but no round in the chamber. For months and months and months there had been no problems. Payroll officers came in, and in front of the guard took out their pistol, dropped the magazine, racked the slide and checked the chamber, then lowered the hammer, reholstered the gun and entered to do the paperwork to get the payroll. On exit, with the payroll, they inserted the magazine back into the pistol and put the gun back in the holster, no round in the chamber. This procedure had worked without problem for months and months and months, and then some higher up had come through for an inspection and written up the finance folk for not having a ‘clearing barrel’ in the building, so one was installed.

The procedure now was that after you cleared the pistol you were suppose to point it into the barrel and pull the trigger dropping the hammer.

The new procedure confused some of the young officers.

These young officers were in an area were they occasionally DID fire their weapons and they were reasonably proficient in their use.

It also didn’t help that the NCO guard at the entrance told them that the barrel was there to safely catch the bullets fired from the guns.

They easily grasped the concept that the barrel was there to catch bullets. So, after showing the NCO the chamber was clear and the gun was unloaded they stepped over to the clearing barrel, put the magazine back in, chambered a round and pumped one into the barrel. Their reasoning being that the clearing barrel was there to catch bullets and unless they loaded the gun there would be no bullets for the barrel to catch and the installation of the barrel would have been a pointless waste of time and effort.

A couple rounds were fired the first day and several others might have been except for the now alert and slightly deaf NCO at the entrance giving a much better and more detailed explanation of the purpose of the clearing barrel.

scorpion_tyr

Clearing barrels. These are a good idea for crowded environments inside somewhat strong buildings with walls that may ricochet a round.

If you want one for your house, by all means get one. Not a bad idea at all, I just don't see the need for one in my house where it's easy to maintain muzzle control when loading/unloading.

jgcoastie

You'll find a clearing barrel near the entrance of every small boat station in the CG.

No small arms are loaded/chambered or unloaded anywhere except the clearing barrel. A large majority of our small boat stations are in densely-populated areas with houses/businesses nearby. It's the safest way to load and clear small arms.

Since most accidental discharges...
No such a creature exists. Negligence is a factor in all cases with the rare exception of drastic mechanical failure. Even in those cases, if you live by the rule of muzzle control/safe direction, you'll only suffer a ringing in your ears and a new rug on the floor to cover the hole...

Dwight55

C'mon JG, . . . back when you were an ensign, . . . didn't anyone show you the patched up hole in the hull where a .45 limited the effectiveness of the watertight entegrity of the hull? :rolleyes:;)

Seriously, . . . they're good things in my book, . . .

May God bless,
Dwight

X_shooter

I know these exist, but the website baffles me with this marketing line:

Unload your handgun safely, just insert your handgun and clear it insuring complete containment in case of accidental discharge.

I am from the mindset that unloaded guns don't go bang and therefore can't be accidentally discharged.

Now I could see a gun going bang when loading more than unloading. You know when a round is being chambered...

I have often wondered about this myself and by habit always load my carry arms in the same spot pointed in the same safe direction hoping to never have to explain that loud noise to the wife and kids.

jgcoastie

BGutzman said:
A metal 5 gallon bucket full of sand might perform a similar function.

A 55 gallon drum is what I was referencing in my previous post. All of the ones I have seen are inset into a concrete slab at about a 45* angle...