Safety on Taurus Revolver

FireForged

I was checking out some of the new revolvers at the local gunshop today and noticed that on the Taurus's that the cylinder does not lock and will turn slightly clockwise unless the hammer is cocked. I checked several and all the Taurus's were the same. I was going to purchase one of the lightweights but wanted to find out about this first.. Anyone have any info on this??? Thanks!!

Browning HP9
Glock 23

Kframe

How much is "slightly"? Most revolves have some "wobble" up until the hammer is in the firing position (trigger pulled, hammer down). If this wobble is just a tiny bit, say less than a 32nd inch or so, that's normal. More than that ought to raise some eyebrows.
-Kframe

FireForged

This is more like an inch. You can almost rotate the cylinder to the next catch.. All the new light weight 38's were like that.. It was very unusual. I wanted to make sure that this was not a defect before I buy one. The guy at the counter stated that it was a safety feature..

Steve Smith

I've handled more Taurus revo's than most TFLers care to admit, and I've never heard of such a thing...are you SURE that the cylinder was all the way in battery? (you know, upright, not horizontal?)

FireForged

yes.. I checked it a couple of times. The guy behind the counter noticed what I was looking at and stated that it was normal. He pulled 2 more from under the counter and they would do the same thing. With the cylinder closed it would rotate close to an inch clockwise. I have never seen a revolver do that before. I am goind to email Taurus and ask. I agree with you guys.. It seems very wrong.

James K

Member In Memoriam
I don't know why Taurus revolvers would do that and I sure don't know why anyone would think it is normal or a safety feature.

Jim

DorGunR

Same as Gino.
I also have two Taurus revolvers....and they
don't do this either.

Sounds like the salesperson is of the opinion
"If you can't fix it.....feature it." :confused:

------------------
"Lead, follow or get the HELL out of the way."

mrat

I have two Taurus revolvers, one steel frame 85 and on 85UL. Mine don't do that.

[This message has been edited by mrat (edited February 23, 2000).]