Safety issue on new 1911. Need help.

Just got a new rock island armory 1911 cs. Officers model. While oiling the slide some very slight pressure was applied on the thumb safety pin/lug on the right side of the frame. Referring to the lug that goes thru the frame and grip safety. The safest was engaged. Hammer back gun unloaded. Well the safety pin pushed out and safety nearly came off gun. I have a Springfield 1911 full size and tried this on it. Nothing. Couldn't budge it. Can someone with knowledge tell me is this normal on the rock island. What actually retains the safety in place. Arms or suggested new plunger tube spring. I stretched the one and still happens. The grip safety has play also. They are supposed to have fed ex pick up to return for service. I just bought on 3-3-12 and it's unshot. Just curious why this is happening.

g.willikers

The safety is held in the frame by the shape of the cutout in the frame and the shape of the internal lug.
It's only supposed to clear the frame when the safety is kind of half way or so between on and off.
The plunger spring and pin provides resistance to prevent it rotating off, and provides some resistance when taking it out.
If it's able to come out of the frame in either on or off positions, it sounds like something definitely is amiss.
Maybe the shape of the cutout in the frame?
Or the shape of the lug on the thumb safety?
Or the pin hole is in the wrong place in the frame?
Since you have another 1911, by comparing them and even swapping safeties, maybe the problem will be revealed.

Thanks for the reply g. I did a comparison of the 2 and the only difference appears to to a slightly lifferent shape of the slot for the safety catch. The lug/pin itself may be just a tiny bit smaller on the rock island and of course the play in the grip safety. But the springfield I have is super tight. I will just be sending it to armscor to fix. I hope they have good service.

On thing I notice now on the springfield thought is when in half cock and pulling the trigger the hammer drops. Is this normal. I have a springfield 1911A1, supposedly a custom built but not from their custom shop.(apperantly it was a pistol from early 90's that a dealer had built with certain upgrades). It has a skeletonized hammer, adjustable trigger. If that helps out. I searched google for a possible answer and got confused. Seems a series 80 hammer does and a sries 70 doesnt. Does this sound right?

From what I read on another forum searching for an answer the 70 series has more defined cuts. The series 80 is more subtle allowing this to drop. Im not 100% sure which is why I am asking though.

DrBundy

I will just be sending it to armscor to fix. I hope they have good service.

They do, at least as far as my experience goes. Ask them to polish the feed ramp for you while it's there. I did, and it was done at no cost. Nice bonus considering the pistol was in for a warranty repair.

ScottRiqui

My new R1 doesn't have a "half-cock", but it does have what's described in the manual as a "quarter-cocked" position, and by design, the hammer *will* fall from this position if the trigger is pulled while the grip safety is compressed (of course, the thumb safety can't be positioned in "safe" with the hammer only at the quarter-cock position.)

I think it may be a quarter cock feature if there is such a thing. It only moves a hair before it stays back. I didnt think it went back as far as other 1911's I had handled. I never have even messed with the "half cock" as I always carried and stored it cocked and locked as some call position 1.

DrBundy

@DrBundy. What model do you have and what problems caused you to send it in?

GI model. My issue was with the extractor. Customer service was friendly and helpful the entire time.

Edward429451

I have a Colt Gov't Model Series 70 the trigger does not cause the hammer to fall in the half-cocked position.

It's not supposed to on Series 70's. The Series 80 pistols are redesigned a little and the hook on the hammer is different as well as other features. The Series 80 will drop the hammer from the (so called 1/2 cock).

I've never heard it called 1/4 cock but the Series 80's pistols do not have a 1/2 cock anymore, its...something different now.

orionengnr said:
Hammer should not fall in half-cock position. Period.
The half-cock position on Colt Series 80 and Series 90 1911s is not a captive notch and the hammer WILL drop if the trigger is pulled. The Colt Series 80 system is also used by Para USA, SIG Arms, Taurus, Kahr/Auto-Ordnance, Ruger (I think), and probably three or four more that I can't recall at the moment.