Safety Harbor Firearms SHTF .50 Upper Conversion

thesheepdog

Looks pretty nice! I would get a mag fed 18" if I were you. Amazing that a AR-15 lower can handle the recoil of a 50 BMG!!

Powderman

Actually, a good dedicated bolt gun for the big .50 will run at least 3-4K. The upper conversion costs about 2K for the Safety Harbor--at least the one I want.

I plan to get the LONG (29") barrel, to get all I can out of the cartridge.

As far as the recoil, the rep I talked to on the phone (from Safety Harbor) specifically said that there have been no issues with the mating or durability of the mounting on AR receivers. I plan to buy a dedicated receiver for it, too--along with possibly a Rock River 2 stage trigger, and a Magpul PRS stock.

And, I'm sure that with the brake mounted, the recoil can't be worse than my Sharps rifle (.45-120-550). At least, I hope not!

csmsss

Recoil looks pretty darn manageable if you ask me. Heavy rifles with largish muzzle brakes tend to dampen recoil quite effectively.

Txhillbilly

I have shot both styles of the Safety Harbor 50 cal,the rifle and the AR upper style. They are fun to shoot,and the recoil is no more than a 12ga shotgun.

The rifle I shot had the 29" barrel,and the AR upper style was a 22".I would get the 29",the muzzle blast from the 22" was a little more than I like to be around.Plan on wearing alot of dirt with the shorter models.

MosinM38

I was considering a Safety Harbor, good company I think. However I ended up going with a Bohica. $500 cheaper and I figured on a .50 you don't need a magazine.

However, I still like te side magazine (Cool factor alone is almost worth it).

Anyway: The Bohica and Safety Harbor look VERY close (magazine excepted), so some general thoughts that might help:

#1. Recoil is about comparable with a magnum 2 3/4" 12 gauge load. I AM glaf I went with a 29" barrel rather than a shorter tube, the extra weight really helps.

#2. It seems good quality, I had to loc-tite a bunch of the screws on the stock,etc. because they kept coming loose.

#3. It'll shoot 3 rounds into a 2" group at 200 yards with Remanufactured French Ball........I gotta get match ammo and try it...

Actually, a good dedicated bolt gun for the big .50 will run at least 3-4K.
So, you guys think providing a $250 part is saving you $2000 without any other drops in quality? Not to knock you buying one, It will be years before I will be able to even consider such a purchase, but it seems to me one of the comparably priced bolt guns would be just as good of an idea.
Seems it must be shipped to FFL on their website even though it is an upper. LAR/Grizzly guns for instance.

I really have not researched 50 BMGs, so i son't know what I am talking about. Just throwing out thoughts so I can get some feedback.