Safest AIWB Carry Combo

black mamba

I have been reconsidering my carry options, and am interested in Appendix Inside Waist Band carry. I've read some disturbing things about accidental discharges, and wonder what would be the safest combination of pistol and holster to carry appendix style, cross draw. Your thoughts, please . . .

TunnelRat

Thought 1:
Why cross draw? Why add the time to get on target in your draw and the potential of muzzling a number of people as you draw? Is this for a vehicle?

Thought 2:
To some extent this is a question that goes beyond carry position. A lot of people prefer carrying a hammer fired pistol that is either DA/SA or DAO when they carry appendix and I can see the reasoning there (they can ride the hammer with their thumb to feel of something is moving the trigger, the trigger pull takes more effort to hopefully reduce the chance of a ND, and the pistol at rest isn’t under tension so that a failing internal safety would lead to a discharge). However, you said “safest”. Not to be pedantic, but you could add a thumb safety to the previous and technically be even safer. You could carry on an empty chamber and be safer still. You could not carry at all and your chance of a ND would be very low. At some level you have to decide how safe is safe enough for you.

Thought 3:
You want a holster that is rigid or at least very stiff around the trigger guard to prevent the holster from folding into the trigger guard. I would avoid nylon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

HistoryJunky

For me, carrying a DA/SA pistol with the hammer decocked gives me some piece of mind.

A good holster is definitely a must as well.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

URIT

I'm concerned about safety too. Reholstering is something I do slowly and watchfully with my thumb on the hammer or the striker indicator on my PPS no matter where I position the holster.

Here is a Chris Baker video I found interesting that discusses the safety subject of appendix carry...

https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/is-appendix-carry-safe/

I'm a long time revolver guy which explains why I like the S&W DAO models - 3953 or 4053 semi-automatics - for my primary EDC.

Chris Baker also has a video on why he carries a 3953 and he draws from an AIWB holster.

Worc

Right here for me.
Sig P290 RS 9mm in N82 Tactical holster.

I carry either on my right hip or appendix at different times. Comfort is very good as i'm not reminded by any edges or rubbing through out the day.

You can muzzle sweep people from most any drawing position, just be aware of what you are doing and spend some valuable time practicing.

Last edited:

navy87guy

I appendix carry at least 4 different guns (M&P 9 Compact, Beretta PX-4, Charter Arms Undercover, and KelTec P32]. That covers the spectrum (striker fired, DAO revolver, DA/SA semi-auto). I don’t think AIWB is any more dangerous than any other style of carry - you have to be careful and have situational awareness. As others have said, you need a first-rate holster that provides complete coverage of the trigger, regardless of the action.

Personally, I prefer to reholster a charged pistol by removing the holster, inserting the pistol, then reinstalling the holster. If that’s not possible, then very slow and steady...it’s not something I ever rush!

jmhyer

I carry a thumb-safety-less Shield AIWB in a simple leather holster. I never reholster without completely removing the holster from my waistband first. I feel totally comfortable with this. Your mileage may vary.

TunnelRat

You can muzzle sweep people from most any drawing position, just be aware of what you are doing and spend some valuable time practicing.

I don’t know that I agree. Drawing straight out from appendix won’t generally sweep anyone unless you’re at a yoga studio and there are a bunch of people on the floor. True cross draw where you are reaching across your body and drawing from the opposite side of your hand is different in this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don P

Cross draw for the car yes I can see that. Regular carry in cross draw a point to ponder is, if you get in a physical confrontation the butt of the gun is facing your opponent for a easy grab. No matter the holster choice and position finger/trigger discipline are number 1. Gun can't go bang unless something gets caught in the trigger guard or a finger operates the trigger. Just my thoughts on this

cslinger

Safest Appendix carry?? Hmmm ‘bout 3-4 O’Clock on my side. :).

Sorry I just can’t see holding my “boys” or femoral artery hostage.

That said if I had to AIWB carry it would be a rigid kydex holster and at minimum a DA/SA hammer fired gun, if not one with a safety. I generally prefer hammer fired anyway to ride the hammer into the holster but generally have no problem with strikers OWB or 3-4 o’clock IWB. My ass can take a hit. :). There is no way I would carry a striker AIWB.

But again I am not an AIWB guy at all. Not saying other folks are wrong just saying it’s not a risk level I want to undertake.

Cosmodragoon

The Lucky Gunner series on appendix carry is a good recommendation. If you're familiar with the Active Self Protection channel on YouTube, host and trainer John Correia carries appendix. He does some videos on it over on his Active Self Protection Extra channel.

My take is that you need a good holster that fits you well. Traditional DA/SA really shines in this role. A hammer at rest gives you excellent feedback as you reholster. The safety offered by DA/SA obviates any need for a manual safety, which I don't recommend in a carry gun.

bjw741

My preferred safest AIWB carry combo is a DA/SA pistol carried decocked in a Blackhawk TecGrip IWB holster.

No clips and no special heavy duty belt is required. Because of the TecGrip material, the holster stays exactly where I put it while wearing it and while drawing from it. It can also be canted however I like.

With a DA/SA pistol carried decocked a negligent discharge is virtually impossible while holstered. So the nads are safe.

Reholstering is safe too because I first remove the holster from its AIWB location then insert the decocked pistol into the holster while being pointed in a safe direction and finally return the holstered pistol to its AIWB location.

The TecGrip is inexpensive and I can use the size 07 TecGrip with either my Beretta Cougar or my Springfield XDe 3.3.

Last edited:

rodfac

what would be the safest combination of pistol and holster to carry appendix style, cross draw. Your thoughts, please . . .
Great post Cslinger Couldn't agree more. Here's my take: Get an OWB holster, slide it on your belt at the 4 o'clock position and keep your shirt or jacket out to cover your CC gun.

Simple and you won't have to worry about that pesky rule for safe gun handling: "Never cover anything with the muzzle, that you don't want to destroy"!! If you are worried about the draw movement and sweeping self or others, think hard about re-holstering under pressure or even during practice....

Best regards, Rod...carried OWB for almost 50 years now. YMMv

Last edited:

black mamba

Thanks for all the posts. I currently carry IWB at 4 o'clock with a P320. It's not a bad carry, but I just wanted some suggestions on appendix, and a canted crossdraw at 11 o'clock seemed like it would be more comfortable and better in a vehicle. I've heard concerns about the P320 for appendix carry, and wanted some more input. I think a DA/SA makes a lot of sense.

I hear ya Rodfac. I like small barrel guns. I like the light weight. I like shooting them. Nothing feels IMO better than a small gun in a soft non bulky holster.
I personally HATE IWB holsters. My claustrophobia goes crazy. I also have a touch of OCD where I want my pants to fit the way they are suppose to fit. I never could understand how someone would intentionally but a pair of pant 1 or 2" longer for some big gun.

Nano in Desantis mini scabbard
243Ts4m.jpg

That said, I do have these for all my guns. And there are occasions where I will grab a gun and simply Carry Appendix. All my guns are DAO and have no worry about the gun going off. And this is about as slim as you can get.

BUJpOA5.jpg

azsQvfj.jpg

2kfnZez.jpg

zGBMQhl.jpg

Last edited:

mrdude

Any kydex holster that covers the trigger. Appendix carry isn't any less safe than any other method if you follow weapon safety rules.