Safe to keep ammo in a car?

epic4444

i was wondering if i left a loaded revolver in my glove box is there a chance of the bullets gettin hot enough to blow off(i live in california so it gets up to 150 or higher in a car during the summer days)? or can the primer die out and it will misfire?....and a little side note...does anyone know if its okay to dry fire a colt detective special or will that mess up the firing pin?...thanks epic

JohnKSa

Administrator
You're safe. There is absolutely zero chance that the car will get hot enough for ammunition to spontaneously go off. Not unless the car catches fire.

However, long term exposure to extreme temperatures can alter the properties of ammunition. It's probably wise to rotate the ammo (take it to the range and shoot up the old stuff) every few months when temperatures are extreme.

WESHOOT2

guess vs know; tested

I had this same question, so I decided to test.
I filled a milkcrate with lotted ammo and kept some on my shelf.
I stuck that milkcrate in the trunk of my Impreza and drove around Vermont for eighteen months and fifty thousand miles, much of it on dirt roads (over half of Vermont roads are unpaved).
I drove fast, mostly.
And hard, always.

Calibers included 9x19, 38 Special, 357 Magnum, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP.
I think I even left some 41 AE in there......

Then I tested; I took the ammo from both locations and fired it up; testing showed no statistical change in performance.

hoytinak

I test it everyday driving around over here in Iraq with the temps averaging around 125 degrees (even hotter in the truck) right now.....you're good. ;)

Tom2

I would take the Iraq example over Vermont. How hot does it get in Vermont anyway? I had heard some handloads developed in cooler temps had higher pressures in hot conditions. But I understand that depends on the powder used, anyway. Good idea to rotate out car ammo under any conditions I would think, just like carry ammo. Oh if you do handload, and use lead bullets with lube either on or under the bullet, I have heard that the soft waxy bullet lubes can melt when exposed to alot of heat and get down into the powder, causing weak charges or the like. Factory loads, no problem I think. But don't leave in direct sunlight to be safe. Like on the dashboard!

RJay

I live in mild sunny Arizona ( 116 today) I've kept spare clips in my glove box for months at a time with no ill effects.

Taxidermist

I don't leave any centerfire ammo in my car but I have had 22 shells in my car for 4 or 5 years. I decided to shoot it up and replace it this summer. It all worked fine. I live in northern N.Y. so it has been 5 years of temps. from 90 degrees in the summer to 40 below in the winter and it seemed fine.

John