Safe Queens: Let's see 'em

Sevens

Everyone's definition is different... when I think of safe queen, I think of a gun that's expensive, rare, in pristine condition, and one that might get shown off as a pretty piece but rarely (or never!) fired.

Given that definition, I don't own any.

However, I have a few in my safe that don't get much play... old, family heirlooms that I will forever keep dear to my heart, but they don't make it out to the range very often.

In handguns, I have only one safe queen-- Smith & Wesson pre-model 10. Roy Jinks tells me that it's the S&W Hand Ejector, M&P, model of 1905, Fourth Change, built and shipped in 1921 to Huntington, WV. This one is a .38 Special, 6-inch barrel and fixed sights, nickel plated. It does not have the original grips, but wears mother of pearl. These were on it when my Grandfather bought it used in 1923. Serial number is 357xxx for any S&W data junkie who might wish to give me any more anecdotal information on it.

Alas, I have no host to upload a picture. I hope to rectify that problem eventually!

Brian48

I'm not sure I qualify. I have a lot of guns that are "safe queen-like", in that I've haven't shot them much or at all in recent times, but that's not because I don't shoot them. It's just that I haven't had the time or was in the mood to shoot something else when I did have the time.

JohnPaul

MMMM..

..cant say I really have any that live only in the safe, but I do take meticulous care of all my guns
bunchofgunsLarge.jpg

This one has had 1000's of rounds thru it, all original still looks good
BrownBuckmarkLarge.jpg

Lost count on this one, many thousands
smithmodel60Large.jpg

If I ever quit shooting them, they go bye-bye, I sold one 2 weeks ago, another one is going this weekend and then one more to sell in a few weeks.

Russ5924

To me a safe queen is a gun you just don't like so it just stays in the safe and never used. In that case I don't have any all my guns are shoot regular:)

publius

I only really have one, a sweet 16 my grandfather bought for his future son in 1954. He never had a son so it went to me, the first grandson. Unfired, new condition, no box. My Rem. 541T has just about been relagated to safe queen status. I just don't want it getting any scratches or dings, I have several other .22's that serve my needs well. The 541 gets pulled out occasionally for target shooting or squirrel hunting. I DONT KNOW HOW TO POST PICTURES !! help.

PSP

This very well used Colt Woodsman is retired now. It performed flawlessly and now is being saved for posterity.

Woodsman003.jpg

I'm saving this Beretta 85 for no particular reason.

TEST007.jpg

Sig P232, 2005 GOM Rainbow Titanium

TEST006.jpg

kristop64089

I'll play...
Serial number: 52. Dan Wesson PM10B.(Pointman Major):
100_1059.jpg

Everything on this gun is unusual
- Blued DW 1911
- Millet rear (not dovetailed, but machined to slide)
- Lack of large Logo on L.S.
- Nomenclature

Ruger GS 32N:
100_0869.jpg

GS32N-Right.jpg

(second pic is not mine, and is used without permission. Used for detail )

RARE Navy Contract overrun Gun. These were made for the N.I.S.(now known as N.C.I.S.) this gun is from 1993, and it shoots like a dream!
This one is COMPLETE, with EVERY option from the factory.
- Multi colored front sights(caliber designation for Gunners Mates to install at PDS)
- Pachmayer presentation grips
- All papers
- Distribution box
- factory box
- letter from Ruger(provenance)
This would have to be my ALL time favorite gun, needless to say, it lives in my safe.:rolleyes:

KyJim

I believe in shooting my guns but I have some that I don't carry and don't shoot a lot of rounds through.

I purchased these Colt Detective Specials only recently. I haven't shot them yet but I know that I will:

Colt_Detective_Special_two_tone_gro.jpg

These Pythons don't have too many rounds through them:

Colt_PythonStainless_01.jpg

Colt_PythonBlue_04.jpg

Here's a SW Model 17 I don't shoot very much. I actually shoot an older K-22 more.

SW_Model17_03.jpg

kle

This little doohickey only gets taken to the range once or twice every few months, and it's my only gun in .40 (for now). This is the only one I think of as a "safe queen":

2596885551_1264c1c2ef_b.jpg

pogo2

Two unfired Colts

These two Colt Gold Cups have never been fired and spend their lives sitting in a safe. I got them as collector items, and shoot other guns.

ColtGoldCup38Super35.jpg

ColtGoldCup70nickel35.jpg

IMTHDUKE

Only one....I interpret "Safe Queen" as you don't shoot it....I shoot all others or their just man jewelry.
0736252190996575161947.share.jpg

Last edited: