safari/guided hunt/ etiquette

bamaranger

I'd like to start a discussion on the do's and don't of hunting with a PH and his crew in Africa. I'll start another thread some time about guided hunts here in North America and I guess elsewhere. Mostly interested in gun handling issues, but such things as tips (compensaton) to the PH and trackers. And, what about "manners" for want of a better expression, ...can you respectfully question the PH on anything, or is their word gospel. (say, miss v. hit on a shot, or can we look over there a minute?)

I'm curious about gunbearers, do all hunts have them? Must the client use their service? I'd feel like a tourist, and a bit short changed, if I could not carry my rifle, on the hunt of a lifetime (not likely for me, but who knows).

What is the ready status of the rifle? All up, half loaded (mag only) etc. Lot of travel by vehicle it seems, how are the rifles stored, actions open, cased, rack etc? Is one constantly loading and unloading (certainly makes sense) or is it "done" differently. Might be a good place for a mag fed rifle.

There's likely other issues too, and I'd like to see any experiences or comments those fortunate enough to have been on an African hunt might have had or were unexpected.

taylorce1

Look up a guy by the name of tedthorn on the forum, he just recently got back from Africa. He can tell you a lot about the costs associated with hunting South Africa. He even will tell you a bunch of the ways they backdoor hidden fees I to the discounted hunts. Shoot him a pm and he'll get back with you and tell him I sent you.

Cowboy_mo

BR, check out Wayne Wagner safaris on the web. He is a great guy and I spent 10 fabulous days with his outfit in 2010.

From my experience and discussions with Wayne and Ian (his PH that I hunted with) I can tell you they try to cater to the client's needs. I carried my own rifle during the time we hunted (no gun bearer). When it came to firearm handling it went something like this. When we left in the morning the guns were cased with loaded magazines but no rounds chambered until we got to an area we wanted to hunt. At that point, Ian & I went to the back of the truck and our tracker became the driver. The guns remained cased and in a rack close to us on the "hunting" seat until we (ok Ian spotted a quarry). We would drive past a ways and depart the truck. When the stalk began, a round was chambered. When it was time to shoot, Ian would be spotting as the shot was taken and had a much better idea exactly where the shot hit and which direction the animal went thereafter. If an instant follow up was called for, Ian would immediately let me know.

When it came to tips, I just asked Wayne what was customary. He prepared a suggested list for me and I tipped based on that. I should tell you that Wayne was a 20 year friend of a good friend of mine and I had the opportunity to meet him in the states when he was here for the SCI convention.

I could go on for pages but it you are seriously are considering an African safari, PM me and we can set up a phone call. Needless to say, this is the guy I would recommend and also tell you what a great time you are going to have. :D:D

P.S. When it comes to costs, you can go to Africa for 10 days of hunting, be treated like a king when it comes to accomodations and eats, and take 5 animals for LESS than the cost of a 5 day elk hunt in the U.S. where you might not even see an elk! In Africa, you only pay for an animal if you draw blood.

tedthorn

I carried my own rifle....30-06 700 with 150 grn Accubonds.....full mag box in the truck.....hot when boots hit the ground

8 out of 11 of my animals were off sticks standing 100 to 250

3 were prone with my bipod at over 300..........wife killed an Impala at 341

I will warn anyone and be very upfront on the real cost of an African safari.....its far far more than the $4500 six animal price

When your crate hits your doorstep with your dip and pack your 6 animals will finish out about $11,000 before taxidermy

Last edited:

lt dan

Bamaranger, the long and the short of it is, that you ph will cater for your needs. Futhermore he will explain everything: do's and dont's in detail. They are in the bussiness of makinng you feel at ease

x500ben

try a management hunt.

If you are not a trophy hunter, just don't have the room for (or wife! ) for trophies or cannot justify the cost of a trophy hunt a management hunt may be the answer. These are available in most countries but especially in South Africa. The usual package would include about 10 animals, a varied selection dependent on the area. These would be females or non trophy males. Full accommodation is included but usually you would hunt with a friend and have a PH between you. This way you get a lot of hunting for your money.

bamaranger

new one on me

Not heard of a "mgmt hunt", and honestly, do not foresee a bunch of African mounts in my future, what room I have has whitetails and gobblers, and the last whitetail I mounted (bamaboys first solo, racked buck) seemed way more costly than needs be, and was mounted by the guy that has done my others, so I believe I was fairly treated. Mounts just to expensive for my blood now.

All that to say that photos and memories would suit me fine.

Maybe someday and another option, .....thanks again

tedthorn

I will warn that dip, pack and ship will run nearly 2k from Africa to Chicago on 6 animals

Then add $450 for the USDA Customs broker and additional US shipping at abour 2 to 300$

All this before any taxidermy......close to 3k