Safari arms info

WVfishguy

I saw a Safari Arms .45 at a local pawn shop yesterday.

It was stainless, had a scorpion on the grips, and all the "bells & whistles" of a competition gun. It had scratches on the grips, and appeared to be serviceable, but very dirty.

They wanted $500 for it.

I can find very little on Safari Arms on the 'net, or on gun forums. Anyone know about the company, and is $500 a good price?

45_Shooter

I think they're linked into Olympic Arms somehow. I know of one gun shop that's tries to push them; and they're generally unsuccessful in it from what I've seen. The goofy 'finger groove' frame didn't inspire me at all, and Oly's less than stellar reputation for AR's doesn't give me a warm comfy feeling either.

WVfishguy

I think Safari is owned by Olympia Arms, Olympia WA. That much is on the side of the gun and on their website.

But I don't care much about that - what I'd like to know is if anyone on this forum has experience with Safari Arms 1911s, and if a used one might be worth $500.

RickB

Safari Arms was one of the first "production custom" 1911s, with beavertails, ambi safeties, adjustable sights, etc., long the before any of the current companies were making them. I live about 90 minutes up the road from the plant, shoot a lot, and have never seen anyone with an Oly version on the range. $500 for a dirty, somewhat beat-up gun doesn't sound like a great deal.

Slopemeno

Safari Arms had pretty spotty quality control back in their heyday. From what I understand, Olympic Arms took over the production after Safari Arms went out of business.