Sacrilige?

SaxonPig

Couple years ago I bagged this 3-Screw Ruger BH in 30 Carbine. Don't ask me why. Not a really useful handgun. But I had one (actually two) when I was much younger and I felt a surge of nostalgia when I saw it for sale.

standard.jpg

Sometime later I was looking at a newer model BH and I sort of liked look and feel of the black plastic checkered grips Ruger now uses. Saw a nice set for sale cheap at a show today and bought them. Do they look horrible on the old Ruger or are they OK?

standard.jpg

HiBC

Different strokes!
Its not like it took a hacksaw or dremel to change grips. You can put either set in the box and switch.

I don't really spend much time worrying about "Does MY gun please YOUR eyes? Do I have your approval?"

Do it your way,either way. Which do you shoot better with?

Mal H

Staff
HiBC is right. You have the final say on what looks right.

But, since you asked - no, the black grips don't look horrible, but the wood grips look much better in my opinion.

rclark

Yep, it is what you 'want' on your guns.... For me it is 'wood' all the way and most of my shooters have 'custom' wood grips that fit the frame and look and feel better 'in my hands'. Others like bone, ivory, etc.

Reloadron

Matter of personal taste as I see it. I like wood but rubber and plastic has a place. My S&W Model 29 looks beautiful in wood but stings to shoot making the S&W factory Hogue grips a good choice for the gun.

Ron

Howdy

Although I generally like wooden grips better, this Flat Top 44 Magnum is still wearing the plastic grips it was wearing when it left the factory in 1958. I kind of like them.

Flat%20Top%2044%20Mag%2005%20SN%20altered_zpsvne46dxx.jpg

arquebus357

If you are suddenly "into" grip panels, there is an amazing selection of choices for that handsome revolver. Many of which are nicer looking than either of those two examples

I have a Birdshead Vaquero for which there are virtually NO choices so I'm forced to make my own. (actually, it's kind of fun)

As to your question though, the wood is more traditional but the black plastic looks more badass. I guess it would depend on your mood on any particular day

:):)

TruthTellers

To me, any Blackhawk that's not stainless or nickeled doesn't look good. If given the choice of a blued model, I'd rather have the black grips. Don't know why, maybe because it's looks as tacticool as a single action can get.

CajunBass

Normally I'm a wood grip guy, but the black plastic ones Ruger uses look and feel pretty good to me. They remind me of the hard rubber ones Colt used to use.

Sevens

On my New Model .30 Carb Blackhawk, I put on Ajax faux mother of pearl. For some reason, pearl seems to be just about as universally LOATHED as any stock material ever. Can't discuss any pearl on a handgun without hearing about Patton or pimps.

I think it looks nice, I think it looks far better than either the Ruger wood or Ruger black plastic. And I do agree that the big fat rubber on a single action is brutal in looks.

Master Blaster

I Agree with Sevens, mother of pearl grips look right to me and I have them on my .45 blachawk and vaquero. Never hear any complaints at the range, in fact several folks have asked where they can get some. My .44 mag. Super blackhawk wears Hogue woods to mitigate recoil. I like wood grips more than black plastic.

buck460XVR

Originally posted by HiBC:

I don't really spend much time worrying about "Does MY gun please YOUR eyes? Do I have your approval?"

^^^Kinda where I'm at also. Not that I don't enjoy the looks of a nice firearm, but, the actions and functions of a firearm appeal to me more than just cosmetics. So it is with grips. A pair that fits my hand, increases my accuracy and helps with the recoil of big bores is more important to me than what wood or other material they are made of. Color? I can't see it when my hands are wrapped around 'em and I'm looking down the barrel at my sights. A plain Jane gun that goes bang and shoots where I aim everytime is much more attractive to me than the most highly engraved B-B-Q gun. But that's my opinion. I know there are many others that feel differently and I have no problem with it. We own/shoot guns for a multitude of reasons. Many of them different. It's a good thing.

IOWs, no, the Black Plastic grips are not sacrilege. Not if they trip your trigger.

smee78

What about a set of stag grips? I bet they would look good if your going to change them to my liking lol. I'm sure what ever you choose will be fine. I love my 30carb Blackhawk and even had it cut down to 5 1/2" barrel to suit "my" likes.

SaxonPig

"I don't really spend much time worrying about "Does MY gun please YOUR eyes? Do I have your approval?"

Me neither. Just curious what others think. The opinions of others have no influence on my actions. But I still get curious.

I think I like the checkered plastic. They feel good. Of course I'll keep the originals in the box of stocks and grips.

Now some of you are wondering what's the difference between stocks and grips...

curt.45

i have two sets of grips for my .357/9mm BH and i'd like to get some pearl or stag grips just haven't found any, change them to suite my mood. wouldn't mind a set of zombie killer grips either lol. i don't care what anybody thinks it is my gun and my money :) dang guess i'm old and cranky.

ThomasT

Saxon its really simple. Just put a wood grip panel on one side and a plastic panel on the other. Then use them a bit and I bet you figure out which you like best.:D

And by the way I prefer the wood grips.