Sabotaged Hunts. How to respond if you meet a harrassing person?

Status
Not open for further replies.

doofus47

Ok, not to hijack the wolves/sabotage thread, but I've been doing some thinking. I elk hunt way the heck out in the middle of nowhere, so sabatoge isn't really an option, so no problems there. However, I have pulled a deer tag in the game unit next to boulder, Colorado. There's lots of USFS land, so I don't see myself getting too close to town, but it's a pleasant day drive for people who might want to "help" mother nature by stifling a hunt.

I do find myself wondering "what would I do if some group and I crossed paths/purposes out in the woods?" Yes, it's illegal to disrupt hunts here in colorado, but what would or could I do? I don't carry a camera to photograph ne-er do wells. I pack my phone well down in my bag to protect it from water and impacts. I don't really have a "right" to ask someone for name/id. I don't want to do something that would allow them to call the local authorities to claim that there's a guy with a gun threatening them in the woods...

Thoughts?

Honestly, probably nothing would happen for hunting deer this year on the front range, as the USFS has closed recreational access to large portions of the forest b/c of the floods so this is probably a theoretical exercise, still...

jmr40

I'd carry a small camera or phone with a camera where it is accessable to document what is happening. I'd not confront. Unload your gun, and document that. Some of these folks may try to claim you were threatning them with your gun, document what is happening as much as possible and just leave. Not worth any type of confrotation. Give the documentation to LE and let them handle it. Realistically I think the odds of anything happening are pretty slim, but it doesn't hurt to at least have a plan in place in case it does.

I've never had anyone threaten my hunt with sabotage, but did find another hunter at my favorite beaver pond duck hunting one morning on public land. It didn't bother me that he beat me to my honey hole except for the fact that I had just walked 2 miles to get there and he had driven his truck through a ditch and around a gate to get there first. I photographed his truck and tags and gave the photos to our local game warden who showed up at his place of work a few days later with a ticket.

Panfisher

Honestly i would likely sit down, get me a fresh chew of Redman and listen to them rant/rave all they want without so much as a comment. Why waste my breath on them.

Pahoo

Kill them; ..... With kindness !!!

Pretty much what jmr40 has replied and really what options do you have. .... ;)

I know that often times, we worry about "stuff" that never happens and the chance of you having an encounter like this is very slim. These Bunny-Huggers usually prefer to be involved at a high profile locations and hunts, so they can later watch themselves on the news. Another factor, is the investment you have into a hunt. I have only had one encounter similar to this. Did not have much invested and asked the person to share the morning with me or I with him. He soon got bored and when he got up to leave, I just followed him to his truck. That got to him more than he got to me. Also invited him to come back next weekend and I'd bring an extra apple. Might add that the property I was hunting, was next to his. .... :rolleyes:

Be Safe !!!

Pond James Pond

Bullet-cams.

They are self contained, often water/shock proof and the size of a half-smoked Havanna tubo.

I bought one for the dash-board of my van as a means of documenting any stupid actions on the road.

Pull it out of your top pocket, press on and record the next two hours of illegal shenanigans as well as any precautions you decide to take as suggested by jmr40.

Mueller

Cell phone with a Camera, even if you have no signal you do have a camera.

If I meet a rabid tree hugger, and yes I have, don't get into a confrontation, hit record on the cell phone and let them blather, get a picture if possible, retreat to the trail head and look for their means of transport and contact the DNR/County/state and give them the details.

The action cameras are also good and some will record up to 4 hours, let their mouth write the check they can't cash and let the state collect :)

born2climb

It might be a bit off-color here on the forum, but why has no one mentioned the option of getting physical with these instigators. Is there a reason for that?

Mueller

They want a confrontation, you play into their hand by getting physical (unless it is clearly self defense) and it leaves you no ground to stand on "WHEN" law enforcement get's involved, then there is the claimed disparity of force, since you are armed and they are not.

By getting physical, outside of SD, you violate a primary rule of gun handling in that you either have to relinquish control of said arm to thump the person or allow it to get into reach of said person and you may now be in a fight to prevent them from taking it from you... not a place you want to be and from my experience they travel in packs...not where you want to be...

FrankenMauser

Interfering with a lawful hunt or law-abiding hunters, in any way, is illegal everywhere I hunt. Photographs and witnesses are important for prosecution. But... out west, such things are taken very seriously.

The most recent local case I am aware of, was in Utah's Strawberry Valley, last year.
A local group that provided hunts for handicapped hunters had put together a Bull Elk opportunity on private land, for a man that only had the use of his right arm.

As soon as they pulled into the area the landowner had given permission to hunt, they came upon several nice bulls, right off the road.
The organizers had the vehicles pull off onto the shoulder, got out of their truck, set up their video equipment, and took a rifle to the man sitting in the back of his family's full-size SUV. One 'guide' stood outside the driver's side rear window, supporting the rifle and a window rest, while the handicapped man scanned the bulls to pick his target.

Then, two cars drove around the corner behind them - two cars full of anti-hunters from Park City...
Some words were exchanged. One of the antis tried grabbing the rifle to throw it on the ground. Some threats were made. One of the antis grabbed some kind of club, and acted as if they were going to damage the SUV. In response, one of the 'guides' drew his concealed handgun, and reminded the idiots that the people with guns had the upper hand and that no one was going to get hurt by crazed fanatics.

So... some antis started honking their car horns, while others screamed and ran out into the field to chase the Elk away.

After the antis left, the Sheriff and Game Warden were called. They didn't feel that there was going to be much of a case against the crazies, until the 'guides' reminded the LEOs that they had THREE cameras rolling through the entire encounter. Everything was on tape, from spotting the Elk, to the antis leaving.

They tracked down the antis and charged them with everything they could - assault, assault with a deadly weapon, attempted grand theft (the rifle), attempted destruction of private property, interfering with lawful hunting activities, harassing lawful hunters, and, best of all... trespassing and harassment of wildlife.
The last report from the 'guide' that runs the operation said most of the antis were taking plea deals, where the assault, theft, and destruction charges were being dropped; but they had to plead guilty to all of the 'interfering', harassment, and trespassing charges.

Having the video evidence, and staying calm, were the keys to the 'good' outcome. Unfortunately, one of the kids that was charged has well connected parents, that have somehow been able to keep the story out of the news.

...The gentleman with the use of only his right arm dropped a nice 6x7 bull, in the same spot, the next day. ;)

It might be a bit off-color here on the forum, but why has no one mentioned the option of getting physical with these instigators. Is there a reason for that?

Sure, because assault/battery is illegal. Use of force is not legal against those who annoy hunters, at least not in any states I have seen.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Situation and circumstance. I know some old boar dinosaur ranchers who regularly play cards or drink coffee with the sheriff or the judge. The last thing some doofus trespasser would ever want to do is cross paths with one of those guys, any of the ranch hands or one of his lease-hunters.

A couple of Louisiana cops got caught by the owner of our lease-ranch. By the time the sheriff gave back their driver's licenses, they were happy to pay their fines and run for home.

I've noticed that those old rolling rocks in a pasture can cause a fella to slip and fall down and hurt himself.

Kreyzhorse

I've never had any issues but if I did, I'd call the police and or game warden and wait for them to arrive. I certainly wouldn't entertain speaking with any of those crazy people.

Pahoo

Actions lead to consequences

Some of you might remember a video where a hunter shot an American Bison, by a body of water. Must have been a special hunt as a group of Bunny-Huggers were there as well News Folks, who were recording. A fat lady tree-hugger, reached down and dipped her hand in a pool of the bison's blood. Then she proceeded to walk over to the hunter, said something stupid and wiped her hand across the hunter's face. The hunter just stood there. .... :mad:

If it were me, five seconds later, her face "might" have been in that pool of blood. As far as I'm concerned, that was an assault on her part and worthy of a good response. .... ;)

Be Safe !!!

shortwave

Situation and Circumstances ...and Actions leads to Consequences

...are both lines of thought that occasionaly go hand-n-hand for various reasons.

Although I would normally try to get my point across to the offenders in a rational way, sometimes a Situation with certain Circumstances requires Actions resulting in Consequences that are more defining.

James K

Member In Memoriam
There are actually training schools for people who want to disrupt hunters, run by PETA, HSUS and other anti-hunting groups. They practice insulting and sneering at hunters ("Why do you have a big gun, Elmer Fudd, is it to make up for your tiny little c**k?" and the like.)

The whole idea is to make the hunter lose his cool and threaten or assault them, then they call the police. Of course, harassing someone who is armed might not be a good idea, but those folks are often very naive; they don't realize that if they are right and hunters are unfeeling beasts, the anti-hunter will be in grave danger. They depend on the hunter NOT being what they say he or she is.

Sort of an interesting contradiction.

Jim

born2climb

"If it were me, five seconds later, her face "might" have been in that pool of blood. As far as I'm concerned, that was an assault on her part and worthy of a good response. .... "

Sort of what I was referring to. I'm not standing by and letting some fool assault me and just twiddle my thumbs and do nothing. You can speak of the legal ramifications of "getting back" all you want, but in my opinion, they opened the door when they started their shenanigans.

Sort of what I was referring to. I'm not standing by and letting some fool assault me and just twiddle my thumbs and do nothing. You can speak of the legal ramifications of "getting back" all you want, but in my opinion, they opened the door when they started their shenanigans.

Well then "getting physical" with them isn't because they are disrupting your hunt. You are getting physical as a matter of self defense. It is a completely different issue.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Calling a law enforcement person is wise, I agree. But figure that if you're way out in the boonies, that might mean a long time for a response, IF you have a cell phone which will find a signal.

A tourist lady once asked our constable about response time in an emergency. He answered, "Aw, about a half-hour, if all the gates are open."

So when you're all alone and "way out there", thinking rationally is your best course.

No cell phone. No camera.
IMO. At times like this you must remain a gentleman. Do not set your rifle down at any time! Do not unload it or even try too! Sling it first chance you get! {No sling carry the rife with its barrel facing straight up at all times with both hands } (shows total control) Just walk away without comment don't sink to their level by trying to argue your point. But be wary of those you just left behind. (casually keep an eye on their movements behind you but try not to be too obvious.) At that point you have just become an Ambassador to our Sport and no one can condemn you for bad behavior as you tried too and perhaps did de-fused the situation by such actions. As soon as your back to civilization dial 911 and ask to have a LE officer sent to meet & greet you if possible. Then you've done about all you can under those intimidating circumstances. Main thing is you kept your cool while armed. And that friend is a giant +1 in your column in any Court of Law.

HiBC

Hunting represents more revenue to the state of Colorado than the ski industry.

In Colorado,it is a felony to harass hunters.

As has been advised,help the DOW help you .Provide all the specific info you can .Take notes as it occurs.Video,sound recording,etc.

And,keep your own behavior within the law.You are probably being video'd by some observer.Stay cool,dignified.

Do it right,you will win.Sue the pants off of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.